1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

First Visit to Dealer...MPG down

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by kathyb, Jun 30, 2008.

1. kathyb

kathyb New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius

I just brought my 6 month old Prius to the dealer. They said no tire rotation since I only had 1800 miles on the car....my average MPG was at 37 since I have been doing short trips.... they changed the oil and when I drove off the lot I looked down and it was at 28.8 mpg!!
    Has this happened to anyone else when they received their first oil change?

2. Sheepdog

Sheepdog C'Mere Sheepie!

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I just had my 5K service and yes I noticed that my usual 55 mpg ratings dropped to around 50. In my case I believe it because of the tire rotation of the fronts to the back. The rears might be more edgy and need a bit of wearing in like the fronts were.

One would think new oil would be slippery and make for better mpg but I havent seen that. did theya djust your breaks or change the alignment?

3. Prius 07

Prius 07 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Hi Kathy,

Check for:
    1. oil overfill and if this is the case take it back to the dealer and have them take the extra oil out.
    2. also, check your tire pressure and adjust as required
    If you drove in the dealer with 37 MPG on your display and right after you took the car back it showed 28.8 MPG then the dealer probably took your car for a road test which dropped your MPG.

Good luck,

4. Sheepdog

Sheepdog C'Mere Sheepie!

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yes I saw a tech race off the lot in a car while I was there. They go quick to get the ride over with.

5. sdtundra

sdtundra Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I took mine in for the first oil change at 4700 miles because of a trip i would be taking. My average MPG dropped from 48 to 44.7. Same route, driving style...might have to check the oil level

6. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Or they left it running while working on it. Reset the MFD and your MPGs should jump right back up.