1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

First week with a Prius in Arizona

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by GregAZ, Apr 29, 2005.

1. GregAZ

GregAZ Junior Member

So, I have now had my Prius for a week. Thank to you all, I went into the buying process educated, and got my car (Salsa Red, Package 6) $1,000 under MSRP. I used the Edmunds.com dealer shopping feature, and what a relief to work with fleet guys as opposed to lesson competons on the floor (crass generalization, I know)!

Anyway, so far I love the car. The annoying part, is having to drive it the way it wants me to, as opposed to the way I want to. But ... it give me what I want in return, so I won't complain. My first tank was over 500 miles (I know, I am brave), and I am confident I can repeat it as I am averaging 50 MPG on this one already.

Here are my questions:

When does the notorious "lurch upwards" come in? When does the MPG improve, once the car is broken in?

Is there a way to make the car unlock all doors when I open the drive door?

Does ANYONE find the voice recognition system useful?

What is this I hear about oil change savings? My dealer told me 5,000 mile service is the norm ... ?

I am sure I have many others, but I don't want to overwhelm you all.

Thank you for the input so far (unbeknownst to you), and I am looking forward to being a part of this community.

Greg in Arizona

Mods so far:
    - Tint
    - Sunshade on the way
    Can you spot a pattern?

=)

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    1) Some say 5,000, some say 10,000 some say 3,000 miles. Those are the numbers I've seen floating around PriusChat. I can't say since I got my car in Oct so my improving mileage can also be attributed to the warmer weather.

2) naterprius has made a mod for that.

3) Can't say, didn't get the nav

4) That is the norm for all Toyotas since 2000

3. Russ Yost

Russ Yost New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Greg, I'm also from Phx near 16th St and Bethany. I'm getting 40 mpg and am still on my first tank (bought 6 March) Most of my trips are under 10 miles and I use the auto climate control

I got the sun screen; you'll like it, but it takes me a few minutes to unroll it and get it into place.

When I want to unlock the passenger door for a friend, I press the unlock button on the FOB twice. That unlocks all the doors.

4. Ray Moore

Ray Moore Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    The owner's manual describes the procedure for unlocking all the doors with the smart entry system.

I find that 3 quarts puts me right in the middle of the range on the dipstick and I change every 5000 miles but will switch to every 7500 miles after warranty expires. I use Mobil1.

Enjoy.

5. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

You didn't say what kind of driving you do, but 50MPG is pretty good, especially if most if it is highway.

Short trips are the killer, I seem to see 30-35MPG for first 5 minutes. 35-45MPH is the sweetspot at 60+MPG. Coast to stops, preferably in neutral whether you actually put it in neutral or feather the accelerator until the car is neither dragging or powering. Faster speeds, such as 65-75 will burn more gas. upper 40's is not uncommon at those speeds.

6. GregAZ

GregAZ Junior Member

Thank you for all the replies!

I do A LOT of driving, which is why the Prius made so much sense to me. For example, I drove 800 miles my first week. Granted, I now usually insist that I am driving, and I am not as hesitant to go places, because it doesn't cost as much anymore! :D

Most of driving in Phoenix is on the freeway. The freeway systems are good, and during the day, there isn't much traffic. I drive for work (I am in Real Estate), and on top of that I have a 30 mile commute to the office. And yes, I am frequently around 16th and Bethany! I go to that Starbucks once in a while. And I lived on 16th and Maryland for four years!

So, I guess my 50 MPG is good ... I have been driving carefully, "playing the game," and not going over 70 on the highway. I just can't believe that some people are averaging in the 60's. I guess that means NO freeway driving ... which I just can't do. And the "lurch," which I hope is coming soon! Oh well, I am still more than doubling my previous car mileage!

All the best,
    Greg in Arizona
    Salsa Red Prius - 1,018 miles

7. GregAZ

GregAZ Junior Member

Another couple of quick questions:

- Where in the owner's manual does it talk about unlocking all doors? I even had a salesperson tell me that he thought it was impossible.

- I saw some people had a link to a website that keeps track of your mileage / averages / etc, what is that? I used to see a lot of people having it as their signature, but now I see none!

Thanks,
    Greg

8. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

www.greenhybrid.com

Smartentry starts on page 23. Page 30 tells you how to change the method of opening the doors. This will only work with SKS, to change the method for wireless, the dealer has to do that with their tool.

Wireless function starts on page 34

"To unlock: Push the “ †(unlock) switch
    once to unlock the driver’s door alone.
    Pushing the switch twice within 3 seconds
    unlocks all the doors simultaneously. Each
    time the “ †(unlock) switch is pushed, the turn signal lights will flash twice.
    This double switch operation to unlock all
    the side doors and back door can be
    changed to a single switch operation. For
    details, contact your Toyota dealer."

9. Russ Yost

Russ Yost New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Greg, does your last name start with V? I had some contact with a realtor in re property near Tonopah adjacent to I-10. I was a partner in Apollo Investment Group. My email address is [email protected]. Wot say?

10. popoff

popoff New Member

Take a look at www.greenhybrid.com

11. Brian K

Brian K New Member

Hi Greg,

I'm hesitant to post this 'cause the inertia of change is so great. I did post on another forum and had to post quite a few follow up posts.

The oil change interval after the initial one involves many factors. If I sold oil and filters and changed oil I'd say "Yup, change oil at 5000 miles.", and get you to make payments for MY car.

If you use mineral based oil and use an inexpensive filter, yes, do the 5000 mile oil change or sooner.

If you use a synthetic, I refer to Mobil 1 here since it's everywhere (I know they've changed formulation, you'll need to adjust my post accordingly), it's a 12,000 mile oil if you change the filter every 5000 miles (mobil 1 filter). There are synthetics that can go longer without depleting the TBN number of the oil, but you still must change filters every 5000 miles. With better filtration those oils would make sense in the Prius, but there is simply no way to mount the filtration unit in the Prius unless one intrudes on the passenger compartment or mounts it outside in the airflow.

I use another brand of oil in my Tacoma and haven't changed the oil in two years, conservatively it's good for 30,000 miles. I send the oil out to a lab, they test it and tell me if if it's good for another round. I change filtration every 6 months (1u filtration). Soon after the filter change the oil looks as if it just came out of the container. The real test is the lab result though. Synthetic oil doesn't "wear out", but it does lose the ability to neutralize the byproducts of combustion (TBN number). Mineral based oil does wear the additive package out and needs to be changed on schedule regardless of the filtration used.

Change oil every 5000 miles? Maybe. You decide. Things have changed since that was recommended, though folks who make $ from the myth of the 5000 mile oil change want you to change at 5000 miles. Do the math and see where you come out ahead. Frankly, due to the huge benefits of synthetic oil there's no way I'd put mineral based oil in my engines, and I haven't for over 30 years. That includes my small engines. I have NEVER had an engine related failure due to lubrication or to an engine wearing out in all that time. As I proof read this I have to add "or to any other part that has received synthetic lube". This includes greaseable ball joints, transmission, U-joints, anything I can get synthetic lube to.

Normal scheduled lube and filter changes need to be conducted though. Synthetic isn't a license for neglect.