1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Fit or Prius? Hate to ask but...

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by clintd555, May 3, 2006.

1. clintd555

clintd555 New Member

I have to admit that since the Prius and the Fit are around the same size, it draws me to compare the two. BUT the Prius cost at least a whooping $10,000 more than the Honda Fit!

I know they're in different classes, but I still have a hard time seeing the Prius as a much more classy car than the Camry. It's no Avalon and it's no Lexus. I know the cool factor and toys of the Prius is just superior - not to mention how unique and high-tech it is, but $10k can buy MANY MANY other toys that I'll like as well. Even with gas prices going higher and higher, it'll probably have to reach the $7-10 per gallon mark before the Prius catches up with the Fit in overall total cost.

I'm not saying that I've ruled the Prius out of the running for my future car. I will say that the Hybrid Civic is out of the question. If I rule out the Gen 2 Prius, I hope I can wait til the Gen 3 comes around. :)

All in all, I'm looking at overall cost and value of the car over a 10 year period. I plan to keep my next car more than 10 years if possible.

2. Charles Suitt

Charles Suitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <_< Howdy clintd555

Reading your post makes me wonder why you are on PriusChat at all. There are a multitude of things the "Prius is NOT." From the tone of your post, it appears that you are not a Prius-type. I suggest you buy what you want and can afford. Another PLUS for you... Prius are hard to find and the other vehicles you mention can probably be found at below MSRP for immediate delivery.

3. steved

steved Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(clintd555 @ May 3 2006, 03:14 PM) [snapback]249289[/snapback]</div>
    When you're doing a cost comparison it is important to include the Prius tax credits that are currently available. I live in CO and between federal and state I will get approximately $6400 in tax credits for 2006. That helped me justify paying the additional cost of the Prius.

4. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Charles Suitt @ May 3 2006, 02:29 PM) [snapback]249299[/snapback]</div>
    Since when is someone required to take a Prius loyalty oath in order to post on PriusChat? :rolleyes:

5. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(IsrAmeriPrius @ May 3 2006, 05:42 PM) [snapback]249306[/snapback]</div>
    I had to do that and also pass a background check, and that was only to read the postings. I won't even start to go into what they did to me before I could actually post. :p

Tom

6. ErikU

ErikU New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Dont think that clintd555 was meaning any harm I think he was just saying what he was thinking.....thats why he is here trying to figure out what to buy. good luck to you.

7. priusblue

priusblue New Member

I think the Fit is a good option if you're someone that drives alone pretty much all the time. I think it's an amazing little package for the price and will do well. If you like the way it drives, and aren't sure about the Prius I think it's the way to go. You're not out as much $$, and I'm sure with gas staying high, it would be easy to sell if you do decide on the gen 3 prius.

I plan on having kids soon, so the roomy backseat was important to me. I also like, as someone else here said, not having to apologize when people do sit in the backseat. Also the fit actually wasn't out when I was looking - we might consider it as a commuter car for my husband, whenever the Accord dies.

8. Maytrix

Maytrix Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    10 years? All I can say, is if you are going to keep a car 10 years, make sure it's perfect for you.

Looking at the Fit on Honda's site, it certainly is an interesting vehicle. If price plays that big a role for you, then you really should drive both a Prius and Fit and see which suits you better.

In addition, I'd consider where you live and what driving conditions are like during different times of the year. The Prius is pretty good in the winter.

9. plasm

plasm New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(clintd555 @ May 3 2006, 05:14 PM) [snapback]249289[/snapback]</div>
    The Fit is a great car. I probably would have seriously considered getting one myself, but it is a little too small. You give up 2.5 inches of shoulder room front and back, and 5 inches of rear leg room! Plus it can't be bought with electronic stability control (ESC), which is an automatic deal breaker for me. ESC has been said to be the number two most important safety feature after seatbelts by many experts.

10. EricGo

EricGo New Member

I think the Fit is a brilliant car, and have high hopes the hybrid Fit will be a 60 mpg car for ~ $16k which would be divine :)

PriusBlue gives sage advice -- if you have to buy now, I also think the Fit will retain value *very* well in case you decide to trade in a couple of years.

The flip side for people like me though, is that long ownership makes upfront costs much less of a consideration, particularly since I recoup some petrol costs monthly. As an example, I would spend about $50 more on petrol (at today's prices, mind) than a Prius. So over 10 years that amounts to $6000. I am quite willing to spend $4000 premium over 10 years for the Prius and enjoy the room, quiet driving, high tech toys, and wonderful engineering. There is also the small detail I care about -- the Fit is not SULEV, so I personally will not buy it; but I know many people do not share my pollution concerns.

Anyway, just to give you a framework to make your own decision.

11. Rancid13

Rancid13 Cool Chick with a Black Prius

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    It really has to do with whatever car suits your needs best. I came from a compact 2-door car and since my next car was going to be our 'family car' I wanted something 4-door and mid-size, definitely NOT compact. I was looking at Accords and Camrys (and Mazda6, but I won't get into that).

For an Accord or Camry with comparable features/options to that of the Prius I wanted, the cost would have been $29K-31K compared to ~$29K for the Prius AND it gets way better mpgs and I pay less to fill it up at the pump. In my case, all these cars were equal in price and function, but it came down to mpgs, emissions, and exterior size (the Accord and Camry both have a larger 'footprint' if you will, than the Prius which makes parking them that much more difficult for me)~needless to say, the Prius won out.

Basically with either a Honda or Toyota car you really can't go wrong with dependability and fuel economy. Take a look at the new Fit, give it a test drive. I'll assume you've already test driven the Prius, you've been around here awhile. :) Compare and contrast them, then whichever car fits you best, and suits your needs physically and price-wise, go with that one for sure.

12. donee

donee New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hi All,

Well lets get the numbers right first. I bought my 2006 Prius for 6661 dollars more than a FIT Sport with automatic transmission and delivery fee (as shown on http://automobiles.honda.com/models/specif...t&Category=Fit). That s 3339 dollars less than 10000. The FIT sport is a closer to my Package 1 Prius (15 inch alloy wheels, power windows and door locks, security system with remote entry) than the all the other FIT trim levels. The FIT Sport does have fog lights and a MP3 Jack, which the Package 1 Prius does not. That difference is probably because the Prius is a couple year older design, and the new version will probably have the MP3 stuff standard. The Prius appears to have at least twice the storage length than the FIT based on the pictures alone which I think has more value than fog lights.

So the hopes for a ~16 K hybrid is probably dashed. Because this FIT Sport already costs $16520! And the way things go, the Hybrids are based on the a pretty full option level to recoup R and D costs.

13. EricGo

EricGo New Member

Well .. that all make sense for a Fit Sport Hybrid.

I'm happy to do without the sportiness.

Honda has said that they target $1700 for the IMA addition in the future. That should cover the 'Sport' cost difference, right ?

14. kaptaink

kaptaink Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I went through the same self debate that clintd555 is going through. . . . trying to justify not buying my Prius. Sure the Fit or Corolla are probably more cost effective to buy . . . afterall you can probably buy alot of gas for the $6000 or $10000 price difference (not so much at todays gas prices). But today when I see another Prius on the road there is alot of pride in knowing I am one of an elite group. I know now that if I had bought a Corolla instead, I am sure I would be enveyous and jealous of every Prius that passed by, and would be regreting not buying the Prius.
    There isnt a day that goes by that I can't wait to get in that Prius and drive home.
    NO REGRETS HERE!

15. hycamguy07

hycamguy07 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Hmmm comparing a Sub-Compact car to a Prius.. <_<

Honda FIT: :blink:
    Exterior
    Length: 157.4 in. Width: 66.2 in.
    Height: 60 in. Wheel Base: 96.5 in.
    Curb Weight: 2514 lbs.
    Interior
    Front Head Room: 40.6 in. Front Hip Room: 51.2 in.
    Front Shoulder Room: 52.8 in. Rear Head Room: 38.6 in.
    Rear Shoulder Room: 50.6 in. Rear Hip Room: 51 in.
    Front Leg Room: 41.9 in. Rear Leg Room: 33.7 in.
    Luggage Capacity: 21.3 cu. ft. Maximum Seating: 5

Performance Data

Performance
    Base Number of Cylinders: 4 Base Engine Size: 1.5 liters
    Base Engine Type: Inline 4 Horsepower: 109 hp
    Max Horsepower: 5800 rpm Torque: 105 ft-lbs.
    Max Torque: 4800 rpm Drive Type: FWD
    Turning Circle: 35.6 ft.

Fuel Data

Fuel
    Fuel Tank Capacity: 10.8 gal.
    EPA Mileage Estimates: (City/Highway)
    Automatic: : 31 mpg / 38 mpg
    Range in Miles: (City/Highway)
    Automatic: 334.8 mi. / 410.4 mi. :huh:

Prius:
    Exterior
    Length: 175 in. Width: 67.9 in.
    Height: 58.1 in. Wheel Base: 106.3 in.
    Ground Clearance: 4.9 in. Curb Weight: 2890 lbs.
    Interior
    Front Head Room: 39.1 in. Front Hip Room: 51 in.
    Front Shoulder Room: 55.3 in. Rear Head Room: 37.1 in.
    Rear Shoulder Room: 53 in. Rear Hip Room: 51.6 in.
    Front Leg Room: 41.9 in. Rear Leg Room: 38.6 in.
    Luggage Capacity: 16.1 cu. ft. Maximum Cargo Capacity: 16 cu. ft.
    Maximum Seating: 5

Performance Data

Performance
    Acceleration (0-60 mph): 10.37 sec. Braking Distance (60-0 mph): 131.65 ft.
    Base Number of Cylinders: 4 Base Engine Size: 1.5 liters
    Base Engine Type: Inline 4 Horsepower: 110 hp
    Max Horsepower: 5000 rpm Torque: 82 ft-lbs.
    Max Torque: 4200 rpm Drive Type: FWD
    Turning Circle: 34.1 ft.

Fuel Data

Fuel
    Fuel Tank Capacity: 11.9 gal.
    EPA Mileage Estimates: (City/Highway)
    Automatic: : 60 mpg / 51 mpg
    Range in Miles: (City/Highway)
    Automatic: 714 mi. / 606.9 mi. :)

Hmmm Impressive..... ;)

16. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    The Prius is much more car than the Fit. However, you should never buy more car than you can afford. When my finances were limited, back in '88, I bought an '89 Civic and drove it for 15 years and was always happy with it. The Fit would be an excellent car. Two years ago, when I bought my Prius I could have bought any (regular production) car I wanted, and I think I made the right decision (for me) with the Prius. In other words, if you have plenty of money, I don't think there's a better car available today.

If your finances are crimped, don't buy a new car at all. Your most economical transportation would be a good, recent-model used Civic or Corolla. Buy a 5-year-old car, and in 5 years trade it in on another 5-year-old car, and your ten-year total cost will be less than any new car bought today.

If you can afford a Prius, it's the coolest car in the universe. If you cannot afford it, the debt will give you grief and pain, and no car is worth that.

And, P.S., I think the OP was both justified and wise to post here. Prius Chat is for anyone who is interested in the Prius, and the OP is clearly interested, even if he is leaning away from it, he's thinking about it. You will get lots of positive opinions of the Prius here. Then go to other forums for the opinions of people who like other cars. Then weigh it all. And good luck with whatever decision you make.

17. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hear, hear.

Clint, if you really want to minimize total costs, buy a clean two-years-old something, not a new car.

18. donee

donee New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(EricGo @ May 3 2006, 07:50 PM) [snapback]249396[/snapback]</div>
    Well, that is what Honda calls this package "sport". I hardly think its that much sportier than a Prius. The idea behind the "sport" badging apparently is electric controls, style add-onds and the aluminum wheels. The wheels help the mileage as the aluminum has lower rotating inertia, and take less energy to accellerate. As well as stay stuck to the road better. And the wheels are expensive - probably the biggest part of the "sport" package cost increase. The style add-ons probably improved aerodynamics.

I guess my point is you probably wont be able to get the FIT hybrid without these things - just like a HCH or a Prius. So that puts the delivered FIT Hybrid estimate at $18220.

19. clintd555

clintd555 New Member

I'm just trying to justify why NOT to buy a Prius because currently it's at the top of my list... I compare and put products against each other with just about every purchase I make. Cars aren't investments like houses. You WILL loose money when buying a car in the long run. Since I plan to keep it over 10 years, I have every right to make sure that I'm completely happy with what I get. There's nothing wrong with what I'm doing. :) Don't be offended by my post... I may very well end up with a Prius in the end.

I have explored and will continue to explore buying a used car, but right now I'm willing to pay the extra money for new car.

It's really just a matter of personal preference and what I feel how much is worth putting into the vehicle that I decide. When I bought my Jetta in 1999, I did the same research as this. I was completely happy with the purchase I made up until about a year ago when it's been frequently visiting the repair shop. However, I still plan on keeping it as a 2nd car in the future.

20. NuShrike

NuShrike Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Owning a 2005 Prius and a 1996 Civic, I might have gotten a Fit if it came out in 2005. You all realize the Fit is the FIRST entry-level hatchback from Honda in many many years since they killed the Civic hatch. People wonder why the Civic Si hatch wasn't selling - well it wasn't because it was roomy...

The Fit is roomy enough, designed well, and cheap enough. The NAV, JBL in the Prius would not have swayed me because there's better and cheaper alternatives. The Fit has 6-airbags standard, and I can be my own stability control with great tires, and many hours on the GT4 simulator. The new Civic is really really nice, but too expensive and the Hybrid version has no trunk utility.

Things that put me off on the current Fit, the gas cover and cap does not lock letting people steal gas or put in rice, the 60/40 flip seats has the larger side on the driver's side (as if it was still in Japan) as well as the flip-down vanity mirror, and they did not import the CVT transmission yet.

However, I commute way too much to go to a lower MPG car now, and I will NEVER go back to a straight auto-tranny since the CVT in the Civic so that's my bottom-line.

It is still cheaper to get a used especially if you get the complete maintenance history of it, but definitely only spring for what you can afford.