1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Fix audio connector

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by priusnerd, Mar 19, 2008.

1. priusnerd

priusnerd New Member

I have a 2004 basic package Prius that I added a subwoofer and amp to a couple years back. A few months ago I took the sub and amp out. When taking it out I realized what a shoddy job my friend and I did splicing the audio wires for the amp.
    There is the connector that attaches all the speaker wires to the back of the mfd. Off of this connector we cut the audio wires and spliced them to the amp input wires, to connect the wires we used wire nuts. The problem is that in 1 or 2 cases I cut the wire way to close to the connector leaving only about 1/2 or 1 inch of wire. I was still able to connect everything with wire nuts but it was a tight fit, looks bad and I'm concerned that eventually it will come loose.
    Does anyone know if I can fix this? Is there a way to rewire the connector? Meaning remove the old wire from the white plastic connector and add new wire to it. Or is this a lost cause and I should just let it be if it still works. Plus, what really got me thinking about it again was I got the "Check connection to air conditioner message" on my MFD yesterday. If I have to bring my car to the dealership I was hoping to fix it before then. I hope my description is good enough if not let me know. Thanks for all your help.

2. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    If the wire is too short now, you could add an extension. I don't know how many wires are going into that plug, but it's pretty hard to take a pin out, replace the wire into the pin, then put the pin back in the plug securely. Time to go looking through the connectors at Radio Shack...

3. priusenvy

priusenvy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Oh please, that is the most useless advice. You're not going to ever find an identical connector at a Radio Shack. You won't even find it in the entire Molex catalog. You can probably get the correct connector in a Metra harness (71-1761 should work for 2004-2005 at least), not that that's a good solution anyway.

The OPs best course of action is to just crimp the wire with a bullet connector. That's what he should have used instead of wire nuts in the first place. Crimping within 1/2" or 1" of the connector is no problem.

4. NoMoShocks

NoMoShocks Electrical Engineer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Just because YOU don't understand Bill's advice doesn't make it useless at all. Bill is talking about replacing individual pins within the connector. I am not pesonally familiar with the audio connector but most the multi pin conncetors in Prius have individual pins that are removible and replacible, and Radio Shack does indeed have pins that are interchangible, if not exactly identical. If too many wires are cut off very close to the connector, it might be difficult to fit them all with bullet connectors.

I think the OP might try Barrel connectors where one wire goes into each end and are crimped separately. They are available at auto parts stores or Radio Shack.

Even with these, it can be difficult to squeeze a bunch into a small space, and the replacement of individual pins with new wires could create a cleaner closer to original repair.

5. zeeman

zeeman Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    or, you could extend the wire that you cut too short by inserting a piece of new wire between wire end that pin is attached to and rest of the wire (longer piece).

but first, place a long enough shrink tubing to cover not only short patch wire but also ends of the wire that you will solder, slide it as far as it can go from the longer end of wire.

now solder the patch wire. after connection is soldered pull the shrink tube
    back covering the whole patch wire and soldered points.

then, use a hair dryer to shrink down the shrinktube.
    if done right this would look really neat and wire would not have any weak spots as it is soldered, not crimped.

6. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Just what I was going to say.

7. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Hey priusenvy, I never suggested getting the plug at Radio Shack. I never even thought of that. You did.