1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

fix for ipod problem?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by skeptic1, Oct 22, 2011.

1. skeptic1

skeptic1 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I'm really disappointed in the IPOD interface. I bought a new nano, just for my car. The Prius owners manual says they work together. It also warns me not to leave the nano in the car, due to the possible damage to my ipod by heat. Heat? Are you kidding? I think the cd's loaded into the dash for the GPS are way more delicate than my flash drive nano. If I follow their instructions and disconnect my ipod every time I get in or out of the car, one of two things will happen.....either the usb jack in the car will wear out, or the multi pin jack in the nano will wear out. Either way, they are not made to be constantly connected and disconnected. But since turning off the car, cuts the power to the nano, if I DO leave it connected, the nano loses it's mind and must be rebooted each time.

SO, I need to find a place to rewire the car usb jack so that power is not terminated to the nano, when the ignition is shut off. This car is great, but the nav unit is so poor, as I've complained before, that sometimes I wonder if it was even made by the same people who built the car!

2. dustoff003

dustoff003 Blizzard Brigade #003

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Don't wonder auto made by Toyota, Nav. head unit made by JBL.

3. skeptic1

skeptic1 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Thanks Ed. Well today I bought a short usb cable extension (male to female) and plugged the ipod cable into it, then the extension into the car jack. So now when I stop the car, before turning off the ignition, I just pull the two cables apart. Then I turn off the ignition and turn off the ipod. I am still thinking about finding a company to wire the usb so that it always has power. Not really concerned about running down the Prius battery charging the IPOD. That would take a few months! I also read that the red cable supplies power in a USB cable, so I bought a few to see if I can splice a switch inline, to just "click" off my ipod. But that solution would still require me to turn off the ipod every time I get out of the car. Anyway, I'll post my findings.

4. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I'm not familiar w/the behaviors you're seeing since 2nd gens never had USB ports.

The "multi-pin jack" you refer to on iPods is called the dock connector. In the past, I disconnected and reconnected that on my 4th gen click wheel iPod, 6th gen iPod Classic and now my iPhone 4 (previously 3G) at least daily, usually multiple times daily and none has ever worn out. For me, it was unplugging or plugging into a FM transmitter, car charger, AC adapter, or into my PC.

Nanos aren't that expensive to replace, if it somehow goes bad, esp. if a refurb is ok.

I have no idea how many cycles Apple has rated their dock connectors to last.

5. shawnsprius

shawnsprius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I have a 2011 with NAV with the USB in the armrest console.
    I am THRILLED with the iPod execution and on screen display.
    It cannot work any better if i dreamed it up.

If I press the AUX button ...POOF! my iPod play and displays my song, title, etc on screen
    my steering wheel changes songs, volume etc..
    it is 100 percent perfect I wouldn't change a thing.

I have the 2011 IV, with Solar /Nav option.

6. artieb

artieb Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius
    Model:
    Limited AWD-e

I have 2010 IV w/nav Ipod works but volume only nothing on screen w/ aux is your setup new for 2011? Mine works but need updated features any ideas you hackers ??