1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Fixating on the display while driving

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by J&TFalk, Jun 4, 2010.

1. J&TFalk

J&TFalk New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Has anyone else fixated on the display or have you let your gaze linger a little too long? With the Prius you have more to look at besides a speedometer, you have the Hybrid System Indicator with the its readout and I have found myself watching it a second too long at times.

The other thing I noticed with the Prius is that sometimes trying to stop completely with the regenerative breaking but having to hit the regular brakes a little harder and later than I should have resulting in a not so pefect stop becasue I am watching the charge indicator trying to get a better charge.

I haven't had any close calls but I wonder and suspect if "some" of the Prius accidents have not been because of mechanical problems but because of driver inattention, its easier I feel to become distrated in the Prius. Just my 2 cents.

2. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Took me a month or so to get over. You will too.

3. Smirv

Smirv AkA: Ryan

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I think everyone has been guilty of that at one point......

4. Rae Vynn

Rae Vynn Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Not a good idea. Really. Try to control the impulse. :)

5. drsbm3

drsbm3 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I drive in to work pretty early to avoid some of the Wash, DC traffic. I find that a quick glance at my read-outs on the display keeps me alert. You have to pick the right spots; lights, stopped traffic or very slowed traffic, straight-aways. Once you begin to master driving techniques e.g. pulse and glide, timing traffic lights, slow starts, kissing with your eyes open. Whoops, like Rae says, control the impulse and be safe.

6. J&TFalk

J&TFalk New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hehe thanks for the replies, I am starting to ween myself of the fixating and just driving lol. I too drive early in the morning so I have been picking my spots and doing a quick glance here and there also!

7. Flaninacupboard

Flaninacupboard Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    With the HUD the HSI can be displayed at the bottom, which helps a lot with this.

To start with i needed to watch the HSI while braking to try and avoid the friction brakes, now i can feel the moment the friction comes on so don't need to watch.

8. chrisj428

chrisj428 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    This is precisely the reason why mine spends about 95% of its time on the 5-min interval economy screen.

9. cossie1600

cossie1600 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    One of the reason why Toyota got rid of the old display next to the driver and put it in front, but then you will get used to it. There is nothing special about it.

10. Legrand

Legrand New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I watched the screen a lot when I first got my 2007 Prius, I got over it after a while.

I dont look at the display at all in the 2010. I find it too small and have to concentrate on what I am looking for - so I gave up and only look at the total MPG.