1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

FIXED: Brakes 'grab' -- seems different from previous postings

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by tomkirkland, Jul 7, 2006.

1. tomkirkland

tomkirkland New Member

We picked this car up 5/19/06 in Moses Lake, WA. Fine for 1000+ miles. In the 800 miles since, the brakes very occasionally (30-40 times) have done the following:

When first pressing the pedal, nothing happens at all -- no slowing, no sound. Pressing harder eventually yields a sudden jerking stop, accompanied by an audible thump. This is VERY obvious, to passengers as well as the driver, and completely unlike every other time the brakes are used.

This happens most often at very low speeds, in very gentle braking -- the first times it happened to me, I was in stop and go traffic -- speeds from 0-5 mph. When using zero throttle (or even riding the brakes to keep the speed very low), and traffic stopped, several times in 20-30 minutes, the above happened.

Other times it will happen in a parking lot, or when gradually slowing for a light, stop sign, etc. Only a handful of times at more signficant braking (freeway exit or other stop from 30+ mph).

This happens to all 3 of us who drive the car, and we're all very 'gentle' drivers. (Actually, when driving at all aggressively, this doesn't happen.) It's major enough that my wife and daughter are now afraid to drive the car. (We also have a Camry Hybrid, which doesn't do anything like this.)

Unfortunately, it can't be reproduced at will, and we haven't been able to demonstrate it to the dealer folks, so they clearly don't believe us... Any similar experiences or suggestions?

Thanks --- Tom

2. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Hey Tom.

First of all, welcome to Priuschat and congratulations on your Prius.

Secondly, my brakes grab from time to time. Mostly when they are wet. It is most noticeable when driving slowly, as you mentioned. It's like I'm coasting to a stop and start applying the brakes lightly and the car slows but then I get closer and apply just a little more pressure and the brakes just grab.

Now, about your thumping sound. I'm no technician or car person, but I would have then looked at. If need be, swing by the dealership and take your saleman for a little drive around the block. If really need be, let him/her drive it for a little while.

Sorry I can't give definative answers. I'm sure someone here will be able to.

3. tomkirkland

tomkirkland New Member

UPDATE: Just back from dealer. They've had the car for 2 days and couldn't reproduce the problem, despite driving it 75 miles altogether. We went out for another drive with the tech and fortunately got it to happen once (took 20+ minutes...). They believe it now and will let us keep our loaner for our two week vacation (driving) while they try to figure it out and fix it. Although it was frustrating that they didn't believe us, I can't complain about the support we're getting.

I'll post when I hear from them...

4. Manksgloob

Manksgloob Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Good to hear they're working on it.

I feel I have just the opposite problem: When coming to a stop, the changeover from regenerative to hydraulic brakes doesn't seem abrupt enough and the car often feels like it's not braking for the split-second of the switchover before gripping again.

It's still a fairly smooth, almost seamless process and so I haven't thought to bring it in for a checkup.

5. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    could the thump be anything coming from inside the car (ie, something rolling around on the floor or in the luggage compartment?)

see, the problem with service is that if you can't replicate the problem you can't know how to fix it or IF you fixed it. plus it really helps with di-ag stuff to know how the problem crops up.

unfortunately the intermittent ones are the real tough ones to figure out- i'd leave the prius with the dealer when you get back and ask for a loaner while they're fixing it. good luck.

6. tomkirkland

tomkirkland New Member

Problem fixed, but not easily...

Fortunately, they took us seriously when the problem happened once with a tech in the car. We had the loaner for 3 weeks and 1500+ miles...

Toyota US had no record of a similar problem -- multiple consultations & suggestions, many new components (ABS 'brain', etc.), visit to dealer from Toyota 'super-tech'...no joy. Again fortunately, the service writer learned how to reproduce the problem fairly quickly, so they were able to verify 'not fixed'. Finally, in consultation with Toyota US, they put another car side by side with ours and started swapping brake system components. The part that fixed it was the 'brake pedal position sensor', says the service writer. Ironic, since when I first took it in, one of the things I said was that I had the feeling that the car wasn't properly sensing what I was telling it to do... Also, seems like an early candidate for replacement in the process.

Anyway, all's well that ends well. I got lots of free miles from the loaner, and the dealer's service department got $2200+ in labor reimbursement... The failed part has been sent to Toyota -- wonder if we'll see a recall?

-- Tom

7. prius_deep

prius_deep Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    tag to surface.

aggressive braking.

******** the 'brake pedal position sensor', ***********

bisco likes this.
  8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    well done, thanks!(y)

9. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    As others have remarked, Iā€™m surprised that they took so long to narrow it down to the pedal sensor. I would have thought it would have been one of the first things to eliminate.

Out of interest

ā€œ... fortunately, the service writer learned how to reproduce the problem fairly quickly, so they were able to verify 'not fixed'. ...ā€

What was the method to be able to reproduce the problem?