1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Fixin' to throw away the Clear Bra deal

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by BBaggins, Nov 1, 2009.

1. BBaggins

BBaggins New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    My car came with the clear plastic paint protection. At first I thought this was way cool. After 4500 miles the stuff looks real bad with bug bodies splattered all over. Following the instructions that came with it I only use mild car wash soap and hand washing. Rub hard has no effect.

Is this as good as it gets?

2. Bobsprius

Bobsprius BobPrius

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I am not sure if this was the Toyota Clear Bra protection or installed at the dealer? Do you know? I was also contemplating getting the 3M Aftermarket product installed on my 2010 Prius. The installer showed me a car that had it.

I too noticed some little "pits" in the finish of the Bra but they told me that is something that could happen but it did not go through to the paint. I was also told you could wax it like your car, so you may want to check if some cleaner/wax could be applied to make it look a little better.

I am still undecided on having it, and have no chips or marks thus far. This 2010 is better than the 2002 I used to own, in that I don't have as much as a drop off on the front which was really sugbject to marks and chips. Plus the front bumper housing runs pretty high up if you notice.

Summary I wouldn't be to concerned as long as your getting the protection to the finish. But do check to see if you can apply some cleaner/wax to the bra to help "spruce" up it's looks, as the Dealer should be able to advise on that. Good Luck ;)

3. BBaggins

BBaggins New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I'm not really sure if it is the Toyota product. My car came with most of the accessories available (clear bra, rear bumper protector, lighted door plate, nice floor mats, etc.).

The paint is protected but it looks like the car has not been washed.

Dealer is hosting a New Owner Celebration with dinner next week. All their technicians will be there to answer questions. Should be able to get answer there. If nothing else, we get a free oil change certificate.

4. yadax3

yadax3 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    We have Invisibras on both of our vehicles, one for 3 years, and haven't had any problems keeping them clean so far. However, our installer told us it's more difficult to apply and maintain the bra on dark colored vehicles.

By the way, my literature says you should never apply wax to the bra as it can ruin the protective coating.

5. BBaggins

BBaggins New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    As luck would have it, my car is Winter Gray and the instructions that came with the car are full of don'ts but no do's.

At this point I'm ready to scrap the clear plastic and buy a bottle of touch up paint.

6. Aegison

Aegison Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Not to rub salt into a wound, but for the benefit of others who want the clear plastic protection, I had it done by an independent installer who exclusively uses the 3-M product. It has protected against, I think, three chips on the hood (chip in the plastic buy not the underlying paint surface). As the installer said was ok, I've had it through car washes, cleaned it with what I use on the rest of the car, etc.

The installer does most of his business putting the plastic on high-end cars before dealerships deliver them. If I remember right, the dealers push it pretty hard when someone leases a car.