1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Fixing a minor paint chip

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by a-dogg, Dec 20, 2010.

1. a-dogg

a-dogg Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    So I just got a new, black 2011 Prius IV and opened the trunk in a garage and awesomely nicked the door on an overhead pipe. The nick didn't go all the way through the paint to the metal, but if you're anal (as I am with my new car), you can feel the divot. Is this something I need to worry about turning into a rust spot? Should I do anything? Or just have a beer and chill?

Thanks.

2. stream

stream Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I'd chill. You likely damaged the black spoiler, which is plastic and therefore won't rust.

If you want advice on repairing a minor chip, you'll get more responses in the maintenance sub-forum. ;) Try a search there, you'll find lots of posts.

3. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
  4. SW03ES

SW03ES Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
  5. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    What exactly did you hit: the gloss black spoiler? BTW, there's a thread just a few down the page "need help..." on similar subject. Those damn hatches swing up too far: we have a ten foot ceiling in our garage and it's still not enough...

Within the first week of getting ours I managed to nick the spoiler with the garage door: a trailing bar on the drive mechanism went up and over the spoiler, on the way down. I think luckily two of the garage door rollers jumped the track, saving more serious damage.

As far as I know the thing is plastic: white(r) inside, with gloss black exterior. I pumiced and rottenstoned the worst of the damage on the edge, then filled in the tell-tale white areas with brush strokes of an automotive touch-up applicator, color described as "Universal Black". It seems solid still, ie: it's mounting points haven't loosened.

There's still a fine line along the top that I'm just ignoring. It looks a fair bit better, anyways.

6. a-dogg

a-dogg Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Yep -- the spoiler is exactly what I hit. It's a tiny nick, can barely even see it. But of course I obsess. If it won't rust, I'll probably just leave it. Though I'll definitely check out that Dr. Colorchip thing.

Thanks!

7. SW03ES

SW03ES Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Sometimes with the touchup paint you can make a small nick look worse.

Thats one reason I like the Dr ColorChip kit. The paint is very thin, and it comes with a set of tools and brushes that are EXCELLENT, really letting you touch up a small nick without putting a big glob of paint on there.

The idea of "smear and then buff off" I can take or leave, what I like are the tools and the thin paint...