1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Fixing damage from exploded can

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by JohnMichaelson, Jun 14, 2010.

1. JohnMichaelson

JohnMichaelson New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Okay, so I have a funny story to tell you guys. I've been doing my yearly detail of my prius. Got the exterior washed and waxed, buffed out a few minor scraches, detailed the engine compartment, then all the rubber bits, cleaned the leather, you know the whole works. Part of that was vacuming and using some compressed air to do some dusting.

Well... In the end everything looked great. :) I had a little more to finish, so I left the can of compressed air in my cargo area so I could finish after work today....

Then went to lunch and came back and the can had exploded! :eek: It was strong enough to shoot the can through the side wall of my cargo area. Through the carpet, the cardboard like hardstuff, and the insulation, only to be stopped by the wheel well of the car.

Any ideas on how to remove/repair the piece? I'm thinking pick-a-part, order a new part from toyota, take that piece out and fiberglass over it and recarpet, ideas? I'm trying to laugh :), but I really want to scream! :mmph:

Does anyone know what part number this might be or what the name of it would be? Left side rear cargo area wall? Something like that? Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. SW03ES

SW03ES Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Holy shit! That's wild...

3. firepa63

firepa63 Former Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm sure Homeland Security will be interested in talking to you...

4. TheForce

TheForce Stop War! Lets Rave! Make Love!

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Go to Toyota Parts Cheap - Genuine OEM to see if you can find it. It would be listed somewhere under interior trim. You will have to select a 2008 model year since they do not have the 2009 model year listed yet.

If you really need help and would like to get a good deal ask Steve at http://www.autobeyours.com. I'm almost sure he would have something like that in stock from a totaled Prius.