1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Fixing damaged spoiler

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by kevjen, Jan 16, 2008.

1. kevjen

kevjen New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    My spoiler was bent upwards a few weeks ago when someone opened the garage door while the hatch was open. I was just finishing a third coat of wax when this happened. Uhhggg! The spoiler didn't get a scratch on it but it did stop the garage door from opening all the way. And, it appears as though the tape/adhesive/foam is a little loose causing there to be a 1 inch play up and down when you press or lift up on the trailing edge of the spoiler. It wouldn't bother me except that now ,when I close the hatch, there is both the whoosh sound of the hatch closing followed by another sound - like dropping your wallet on the ground. Please don't laugh. :mad: If you've ever dropped your wallet on the ground then you know what I'm talking about. :rolleyes: It's really hard to tell but I'm thinking that the leading edge of the spoiler is rebounding back to hit the edge of the rear window. The gap between the spoiler and window is just a fraction of an inch so I'm guessing the action of closing the hatch is enough to cause the spoiler to hit it. However, looking into this gap, I can't find any scratches on the leading edge of the spoiler so . . . perhaps, it's just the sound from air moving between the spoiler and the body of the car where they are no longer stuck to one another. I don't know.

I hope this makes sense. It's very hard to describe. I imagine it "sounds" like I'm obsessing a bit but I've now had a couple people notice it, too.
    The sound from gently closing the hatch is twice as loud as it once was. So, I'm concerned that if I ignore this that the spoiler may get damaged, the edge of the window chipped, etc. I'd like to try to fix it myself, if possible. Does anyone have any advice or experience with this problem?

And, thanks for reading this extremely long post. ;)