1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Fixing Steering wheel alignment after replacing clock spring

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by waldox, Nov 11, 2020.

1. waldox

waldox Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    How do I center the steering wheel? My third party mechanic replaced a broken clock spring (spiral cable) and now new clock spring and steering angle sensor is broken (likely due to over stretched due to steering wheel and clock spring not aligned properly). steering wheel is off center driving down the road, it used to be straight. I dont trust him anymore and want to fix it myself.

I dont want to break another clock spring and angle sensor, i have a generic $90 ebay set on its way to me. I have heard to turn the wheel all the way one way, mark at 12 oclock and turn the wheel all the way the other direction, mark the second 12 oclock spot. finally recenter at 1/2 the number of turns to the middle. Wondering if this is the way to do it.

#1 waldox, Nov 11, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2020
  2. tankyuong

tankyuong Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    II
    Just pop off the steering wheel and adjust accordingly

3. AzusaPrius

AzusaPrius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    This is tricky but is not hard.
    I got mine for $10 on ebay

You have to align them both and not spin it. The orange piece is where you line up the steering angle sensor and then you pull the orange plastic piece out. tapatalk_1591635437625.jpeg

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

tidesofthesky likes this.