1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Flakiness Playing iPhone through USB

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by xyzzy, Jun 25, 2013.

1. xyzzy

xyzzy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    2012 Prius Four with the audio that comes standard on that model.

Usually when my wife plugs her iPhone 4S into the USB port, the sound system goes into iPod mode and music starts playing. But sometimes the system doesn't seem to recognize that the iPhone is plugged in (but it does charge).

My first theory...you get either BT or USB but not both. Tested it by starting the car, letting BT connect then plugging in. First time, got "Function not available" so thought I had it figured out. But then I tried a few more tests and found this doesn't happen consistently. I could even be playing music through BT, plug in the phone, and it switched to iPod mode!

So any ideas on why the system sometimes doesn't recognize a plugged in iPhone?

2. Chris S

Chris S Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I've been struggling to figure out the same issue for almost a year! It's completely random, no logic. I'll plug in my 4S and it'll start playing iPod, then I'll start Entune and all is great. On other days I'll plug it in and try for the entire 2-hour commute and get the same error as you over and over and never get it working. Heaven forbid I plug in the phone, run Entune and stream I Heart Radio on Bluetooth! I cannot successfully switch from one to another without starting all over. Now I find the app locks up buffering forever unless I unplug the phone, then it's right on!
    I wonder if it's an iPhone bug but also can't find an answer. I can run Entune on my wife's Galaxy S3 on Bluetooth, stream I Heart radio and then play a standard iPod plugged in and all works great. I'm nervous to do the update because I also hear horror stories about that too!