1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Flames

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by GeekyDragon, Jun 10, 2005.

1. GeekyDragon

GeekyDragon New Member

Finally, got our Prius a month ago. Window Tint in the first week. Flames in the Third week (Had to wait for the artwork). Next on the agenda, rims and tires. Mayve in a couple of months.

[Broken External Image]:http://www.geekydragon.com/Prius/Flames_FrontCornerView.jpg

[Broken External Image]:http://www.geekydragon.com/Prius/Flames_SideView.jpg

As a side note: You wouldn't believe the number and type of looks we get when we're driving around.

2. AfonsoSilva

AfonsoSilva New Member

Way cool, GeekyDragon!

Congratulations! I like the green flames over the black paint, I guess yellow/red would work too.

Did you tint all windows? What kind of film did you use?

Enjoy!

3. HYACK

HYACK New Member

Sweet, dude!

Yea, I personally would wish Toyota to offer a metallic yellow exterior paint but my Prius on order is white and am planning to go with a 35% chrome mirror tint on the rear sides and rear.

I've got 17" wheels picked out already on tirerack dot com and have tentatively selected the Avon M550 A/S tire to mate.

I'd rather go with a 16" wheel but was not satisfied with any of the tires which accompany this size rim.

p.s. how bout your Audio? ;) JBL? custom?

Enjoy your ride~

4. GeekyDragon

GeekyDragon New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(AfonsoSilva\";p=\"97853)</div>
    The only windows not tinted are the tiny side windows up front and the windshield. The Driver and Passenger side windows are tinted 50%, all back windows (except the lower back window) are tinted 20% and the lower back window is tinted 35% (coupled with factory tint to match the other windows). The tint is Johnsons, but I'm not sure which particular line.

Thanks
    --GD

5. GeekyDragon

GeekyDragon New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(HYACK\";p=\"97860)</div>
    Yeah, I wished Toyota had more metallic color options, but you gotta work with what you got. Post some pics when you get your Prius and the tint, I'd be interested in seeing how mirror tint looks on a Prius. I've seen some white RX400's with a White Tint before, have you considered something like that?

Also, let us know how the 17" work out. I'm saving up for rims/tires but have had a hard time trying to find the right size/weight combination. I'm seriously considering going +3 with 18", but not sure yet.

--GD

6. Tadashi

Tadashi Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    wow that does look pretty slick.

7. macreative

macreative New Member

8. HYACK

HYACK New Member

GD,

I haven't seen a white tint on white exterior so will ask the tint shop if they offer such specialty tone, thanks.

And 18" wheels?? wow, i'd love to see that! Have you contacted Toyota to research the proper tire size (assuming the Prius would handle that well?)

I've picked out my 17" package of choice on the tirerack site (sized to fit) and my dealership has verified the set would fit safely on the Prius, minus a couple mpg tho ;(

regards,

9. GeekyDragon

GeekyDragon New Member

Well the standard tire size is a 185/65-15 which comes out to:

D=Diameter, C=Circumference, R/M= Revs per Mile
    A) 185/65-15 = D-24.5", C-76.9", R/M-824.

If I upgrade to 18" then I would probably switch tires to one of the folowing three depending on availability and price:

1) 205/40-18 = D-24.5", C-76.8", R/M-825
    2) 195/45-18 = D-24.9", C-78.3", R/M-810
    3) 185/45-18 = D-24.6", C-77.1", R/M-821

Also, Euro/JDM Prius come with a 16" wheel option which I assume would be running on:

B) 185/60-16 = D-24.7", C-77.7", R/M-815
    **(If anybody knows for sure, please let me know)

I'm leaning more towards option 2 or maybe 3. The reason being that I live in N. California and the roads are not what you'd consider quality. On my GF's Prelude, we blew out two (2) tires on seperate occasions hitting potholes (215/40-18). Also, I'm not sure that the difference in width between 205 vs 195 would be great enough to offer much better performance (especially considering the Prius soft suspensions) vs the decrease in MPG with the wider tires.

Overall, there's still some uncertainty. The biggest issue I'm having right now is trying to find the right set of rims that offer good style and are "light weight". I'd love the Sparco Racing Viper-R's but I can't get them, I've already got SSR GT-1's on my civic and the Enkei RSF-II's that were on my GF's Prelude are just to heavy.

Naturally, any suggestions anyone might have to offer would be appreaciated.

--GD