1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

flashing feul pip

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by Anonymous, Aug 5, 2005.

1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Yesterday, I decided to drive the car further than I had done previously. I've been leery of driving it down to fumes ever since I heard that the fuel pump is inside the tank and needs to be cooled by the gasoline to keep it from burning out rematurely and to fill up with a quarter tank left. But so many people on this forum seem to drive down to near empty all the time so I wanted to live a little dangerously, so to speak. I DO like to know just how far my car can go. The display beeped at me and told me to add fuel and the last pip on the fuel indicator started to flash. I drove until I got to my usual gas station and filled up at 515 on the trip. It took 9.586 gallons to fill up.

Presuming that the capacity of the tank is 11.9 gallons as the manual states, that means that I had 2.314 gallons left. Since I was doing 54 mpg, that means that I could have driven at least another 100 miles before I was in real danger of running out. I would be safe in assuming that I could have put 625 on the trip and still had room to spare.

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You'd be safe only if you truely had 11.9 gallons at a full tank. I, personally, am not convinced I have that much in there even with a complete 'fill'. Case in point is that several people can fill 2 or more gallons after shut off of the gas pump. I rarely fill beyond that. This current tank I did add about 1.5 gallons, but I don't know if I was really full or if there was still room for another 1.5 gallons or so?

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

That's why I say "Presuming", exactly. The last POS that GM sold me had a tank that was a full one gallon smaller than the manual stated but the manual also stated that the capacity was variable.

4. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    There's a subtle difference in what I'm saying and what you said...but I'm a stickler for detail.

I think the presumption that the actual "capacity" of the tank is 11.9 gallons (or more) is a very safe one as many have filled at least that much. But just b/c the capacity is 11.9 gallons doesn't mean that a "full fill-up" has used that entire capacity due to vagarities of the bladder and filler tube and variations amongst shut off points of different fuel pumps.