1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Flashing lights then dead battery

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Greenbani, Nov 21, 2016.

1. Greenbani

Greenbani New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    When my partner went into the lot to start my 2005 Prius all the lights on the dash started flashing, then the battery died completely. A moment earlier he was able to open the trunk without issue and had driven it to that lot about an hour beforehand. The battery has been dead before after the lights were left on, but they weren't on this time. We have a charger we're going to bring to the lot tomorrow to try jumping it. Any ideas on what's wrong? We just got this car used a few months ago. This is the first really cold night we've taken it out, in case that's relevant.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome! it might be time for a new battery. do you know how old it is? yes, cold does adversely affect the battery.

3. 69shovlhed

69shovlhed Surly tree hugger

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    if its the original battery, its just overdue for replacement. I would check the fuses if the battery is new.

4. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Note that the previous replies are referring to the little 12V battery, not the big expensive [traction | high voltage | hybrid] battery.

Greenbani and valde3 like this.
  5. Greenbani

Greenbani New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you! I don't know how old the battery is, but I will try replacing it and hope that solves it.

bisco likes this.