1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Flashing Orange Light w key on Dash 2004 Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by yawkeyfan, Nov 30, 2013.

1. yawkeyfan

yawkeyfan Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My 12V battery died, the car wouldn't start, required jumps and I had to change the battery. Believe it or not, the battery was original to the car!

So, after changing the battery, the car started right up and everything is working fine.........EXCEPT.

When I shut off the car and remove the key (I do not have the smart key system) I see a flashing orange light with a horizontal key that flashing constantly after removing key. When I start the car, this goes off.

Three questions:

1. Will this flashing light kill my new battery?
    2. Why has this appeared all of the sudden? I've had the car since 2008 and never seen this light?
    3. How can I, or should I disable this?

Thanks so much!

2. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Moved to the proper gen II forum from the Prius v forums.

3. koolingit

koolingit Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    That light has been flashing (while the car is off) since day one; you just never noticed it. All is well!

yawkeyfan likes this.
  4. nh7o

nh7o Off grid since 1980

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    That light is showing that the hybrid immobilizer is functioning. As said, it is always there in a properly functioning car turned off.

yawkeyfan likes this.