1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Flashing Orange Light

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by coolgranny, Mar 18, 2007.

1. coolgranny

coolgranny New Member

So here I am again, this intimidated newbie. Panic time. Help! I just noticed when I locked the car that an orange/amber icon light is flashing. I never noticed it before. What is it? It is Sunday and the dealership is closed.

2. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    It's is the immobilizer indicator. It's normal. You can read about it in the controls and instrumentation section of the owner's manual.

3. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    i thought it was red lol.

Yes, it's the immobiliser light. Read over the section in the manual on warning lights. There are a few that are new to the Prius so it's a good idea to read over them so you know what they are when they appear and won't freak out (esp. the master warning triangle aka the red triangle of death)

4. adam1991

adam1991 New Member

yeah, there's that pesky "read the owner's manual" thing again that does nothing but annoy people.

I mean, why should you have to read the owner's manual? You know how to drive, right? And besides, all this fancy technology should just work like a refrigerator, right? What's with all these warning lights? Why can't the car just go???

5. JamieS

JamieS New Member

Wait. I thought that orange light that looked like a car with a key inside meant the Smart Key was in range. Oops.

6. Renocat

Renocat Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(rainydysandmondys @ Mar 18 2007, 07:50 PM) [snapback]408061[/snapback]</div>
    That light means the smart key is not in range

7. JamieS

JamieS New Member

Oops. Just kidding, indeed it does.

So that just blinks all the time. Interestingly pointless.

8. Betelgeuse

Betelgeuse Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Renocat @ Mar 18 2007, 07:21 PM) [snapback]408076[/snapback]</div>
    Really? You sure about that? Because I've certainly noticed it flashing right before I start the car (with the Smart Key in my pocket).

9. maggieddd

maggieddd Senior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Betelgeuse @ Mar 18 2007, 09:48 PM) [snapback]408178[/snapback]</div>
    I never hava a flashing orange light when I am starting the car. Only when the key is not in range as Renocat stated.

10. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ok.. let's get this straight

red (or orange if you want to call it that) car with key inside is the immobiliser/theft-deterrent system. If it blinks, it means it's armed. If it's solid and you just locked the car, it means it's getting ready to arm.

yellow (or amber) car with ! through it is the SKS-out-of-range warning. It's also accompanied by a long beep inside I believe.

11. Renocat

Renocat Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ Mar 19 2007, 01:16 AM) [snapback]408227[/snapback]</div>
    Yes, I meant the one with the ! means the sks is out of range.

12. Betelgeuse

Betelgeuse Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Renocat @ Mar 19 2007, 08:42 AM) [snapback]408301[/snapback]</div>
    Ah! OK. In that case, we're in agreement :)