1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Flashing orange/reddish car icon with black key in middle

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by dougdonna, Apr 28, 2005.

1. dougdonna

dougdonna New Member

all! We're new to Priusing, and generally loving it. The dope: we have a used 2004 Prius with about 16K miles on it. Works like a dream (we've put 2000 miles since we bought it a month ago from a Toyota dealer in NJ). However, tonight upon turning off the car, this wacky orange-reddish car-with-black-key-inside light began blinking when you take the key out and remains blinking. When the key's in, it goes away. Problem with the fob "entry hole" (for lack of a better term)? We tried both our keys, drove it around a bit. No dice. It blinks still. I hope it doesn't drain the battery--can't imagine it would.

Anyone ever heard of this, or can someone direct me to a previous post? We searched around and didn't find much.

Many thanks, and greetings fellow Prians!

Best, Doug and Donna

2. flareak

flareak Fleet Captain

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    does it blink even if you take it out, step out of the car, and lock the car????

3. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It's called the alarm (to use the general term. It's there whether you actually have the alarm or just the immobiliser). It's to tell you and potential thieves that the car is armed, that is, assuming you've met flareak's criteria.

4. KMO

KMO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    I take it they don't bother supplying manuals with the car any more...

5. dougdonna

dougdonna New Member

all:

Thanks for the quick responses! Unfortunately, we were not given an owner's manual (it was used); I've seen that we can get one via Toyota or on eBay or whatnot, which we shall do. We've found some unofficial ones online as well -- sorry if this was a dumb question.

To reply to the first response, yes, it occurs when the car is "totally off," doors locked, and we walk away. The funny thing is, we've done the exact same shut-down procedure since we bought it a month ago; only yesterday did it start giving us this new blinking icon. So, if it's a normal occurrence, 'tis still a bit of a mystery why it decided to start working last night. There's no way we both would have missed it up to now.

That's why I was concerned that it was some kind of electrical/computer issue, possibly the tip of some iceberg of problems.

Does that help clarify?

Thanks again, Prians!

6. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

The immobilizer icon is red with a horizontal key. That is normal, it will blink when you power down, stop blinking for 30 seconds when you close and lock all doors, and then continue blinking. If this is what you are describing, it has always been there and you just have been missing it.

Now there's an amber icon of a car with an '!' in the middle, that means either you walked away with the fob with the car on, or you tried to power on without a valid fob.

7. dougdonna

dougdonna New Member

Thanks, DanMan32! I still can't believe we've been missing it, but if it's normal, I'll consider it normal till proven otherwise. :) It actually starts blinking not when we power down, but when we pull the actual fob out after powering down (if I'm describing this correctly) and it doesn't stop for 30 seconds; it just starts blinking and goes.

Btw, here's how we were told to power down at the Toyota dealership:

1. Hit the Park button.
    2. Hit the Power button.
    3. Engage the parking brake.
    4. Pull out the key

I sure hope that's correct!

It's definitely not the amber "!" light, so I think we're good on that front.

Thanks, again, all!

8. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

Step 1 is optional, it will automatically go to park when you power down. I do it anyway.

Step 3 is optional from a technical standpoint, though it might be a good idea on a hill.

Step 4 is only needed if you don't have SKS or did not take advantage of it.

9. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Re: Flashing orange/reddish car icon with black key in middl

What color is the Toyota logo on your key fob?

If it is silver you have the Smart Key System (SKS) and oh, will you be supprised!!! . . . no need to plug the fob into the hole to start the car . . . unless the fob battery is dead. (Actually, no need to pull the fob out of your pocket or purse for unlocking the doors, starting the car, or locking the doors when leaving.)

If it is gold you do not have Smart Key and need to plug it in.

I’m just curious because the symptoms you describe could be because you have Smart Key and don’t know it. Some dealers are dumb that way.

10. dougdonna

dougdonna New Member

SPE!

My fob is black...so what does that mean? By "fob" I mean the little rectangular thing I stick in the "fobhole," to get all technical on y'all, and (more seriously) to make sure I'm using the right term. It's basically the "key." It's got a "lock icon," an "unlock icon," and a red "panic button" -- plus a little metal old-school key that slides in the side. Donna's fob is identical.

Thanks!

11. jeromep

jeromep Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

Flip the fob over. On the back of it there is a Toyota Logo. If it is silver you have Smart Key. If it is some other color other than silver, then you do not have Smart Key and you must use the buttons on the remote to unlock and lock the vehicle. Another way to identify if you have Smart Key or not is to look at your front door handels. If they have a little black button on them, and the interior of the handle has a black lining, you have Smart Key. If not, you have the regular entry system.

I hope you do have smart key, because it is really cool and very convenient, however if not, no biggie because you still have an amazing car otherwise.

12. dougdonna

dougdonna New Member

Hey, jeromep!

Thanks for the info! Looks like I don't have smart entry, but you're absolutely right: this car kicks butt. I love it. I'm averaging 50 mpg; the darn thing actually teaches you how to drive more fuel-efficiently!

13. removeum

removeum Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II

8) dougdonna,

Important information for those without manuals.

14. dougdonna

dougdonna New Member

Thanks, removeum!

15. Papagena

Papagena New Member

Help, please, with this crazy light! I have the SmartEntry/Start and love it. Today when I put the car in Park, before turning it off, that red icon with the key came on. It stayed on until I turned the car on again. (Key stays in my purse.) After turning off the car, the light also stays on when I exit the car and lock it with the key fob, OR lock it by pushing the button by the door handle. It stays on when I exit and don't lock it. This means: it just stays on. What can I do to make the light behave properly?

I read somewhere that keeping the key near a cell phone causes problems. Why? Has that happened here?

Otherwise my Prius is Perfect!

Thanks for your help,
    Papagena