1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Flashing Red Light on Enginer

Discussion in 'Prius PHEV Plug-In Modifications' started by skschoch, Jul 13, 2010.

1. skschoch

skschoch New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    In my string of problems (almost all solved so far!) with my Enginer 4kWh system, the latest is a somewhat intermittent flashing "low battery" light. (It's almost impossible to see the low battery light since it's so dim, but after a small modification I made earlier, I can actually see it during the day if I cup my hand around it.)

The behavior happened today when I drove home. The car had been sitting in the sun all day (high was about 80°F). Soon after I started it and put it in EV mode, I noticed the light was flashing. At this point it seemed the converter was not charging the traction battery, as the SOC went down to 2 bars and the Prius exited EV mode.

I got it home, put it back in EV mode, and put it in Park. I opened the Enginer cover and checked the voltage on the battery pack, which was between 47.5 and 52 volts.

The converter was very hot to the touch, the big 4" fan was on, but the small converter fans were off.

I let it sit for a while with the lid open until after 5 minutes or so, the converter seemed to start, the small converter fans came on briefly, and the traction battery charged to 8 bars, which forced it out of EV mode. At this point I turned the system off, the small converter fans were off, but the 4" fan stayed on.

So what's going on here? Why is the converter light flashing? Why are the small fans not running when the system is turned on and is hot? Why isn't it putting power into the traction battery?

This problem doesn't seem to happen when the system is cold. Any ideas?

2. dan2l

dan2l 2014 Prius v wagon

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Sounds like your converter is shutting it self off to protect from burning up. I know there is overheat protection as part of the design. It is different on various vintages of converter. I do not know the details.

I think you need to go to the Enginer Forum and ask those questions of Jack or the knowledgeable installers.

Thanks,
    Dan

3. pbui

pbui Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I think the big fan is on thermostatically turned on when the converter case reaches 140F, independently whether the converter is on or not. The converter little fan goes on/off with the converter.

I have been concerned with the warm temperature and I want to log some T data but have been too busy. I did made a simple plastic shroud cover over the converter, with the goal to guide the air flow across the converter's body. I also pull off the two 1.5" drain plugs under the spare wheel well, you can access from under the car. I also stuck a pencil into the left exhaust port to keep the flag open, again hoping to lower the flow resistance. But since I have logged T data yet, I don't know if it's helping.
    -Pb

4. mrbigh

mrbigh Prius Absolutum Dominium

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    You may surprise yourself driving with out those plugs on a rainy day.

5. pbui

pbui Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    good point, have to remember to put them pack come winter, when it'll be cooler anyway. Unfortunately it doesn't rain here in CA in the summer.

6. pbui

pbui Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Skskchoch - you in my neck of the wood in Sunnyvale. Have you found any outlet to charge around town ? Can you believe that NASA Ames doesn't allow me to charge at work ? it's pathetic. There are two plugs under PaloAlto city hall and one at Solar Akeena in LosGatos.

7. skschoch

skschoch New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If this is true, it sounds like a design flaw. The converter shuts itself off when it gets too hot, but it turns off its fans at the same time.

The place where I work doesn't have any outlets near the parking lot, or I would just plug it in. ;)

You should contact a writer at the Astrogram and have them write a story about your PHEV. Then, the policy will change.

We stayed a weekend at the Marconi Conference Center. Being in Marin County in a natural setting, the people who work there are very green. So when I checked in, I asked them if I could plug in my car. After asking me how much current it took, they let me pull up next to the main building and charge it.

8. skschoch

skschoch New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I wrote about this problem in the Enginer Forum. It was suggested that I get a CellLog, which I did, and wrote down voltages at various times. It looked to me that the battery pack is working correctly, but I'm new at this so I'm not sure, and no one has confirmed this yet.

My best guess at this point is that something is wrong with the DC-DC converter.

9. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Did you guys know that Enginer will be represented at Green Drive Expo in the East Bay on October 9?
    It'll be a great place to show off your car, talk to other owners as well as the rest of the Expo activities.

10am- 5pm at the Craneway Pavilion, which is a great place in the Marina District of Richmond.

Mark your calendar now.