1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Flat tire (OEM Yoko S33D) at 9k, warranty?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by errantneuron, Jun 3, 2012.

1. errantneuron

errantneuron New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I hit a curb yesterday turning left, at about 10 mph, and ripped a sizable hole in the sidewall of my rear driver side tire. My car has 9k miles on it, the tires look brand new.

I have a pamphlet explaining the warranty on these tires, it's unclear to me if this damage is covered on the warranty. It seems absurd that a low-speed curb scrape could lead to this kind of tire failure. Is there any way I can get this replaced under warranty? Has anyone had luck with this? Are there any things I should (or should not) do or say to improve my chances of getting the tire replaced? I can't really afford a $120 tire expenditure right now.

Thanks!

2. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    - Avid Touring-S Performance Tires | Yokohama Tire Corp.

Near as I can tell, it is excluded

3. p00kienrayray

p00kienrayray Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    From what I understand, a vehicle warranty covers manufacturers defects that occur during proper usage, which would exclude any driver-responsible accidents (or in your case, hitting tire against curb).

Although i highly doubt it, Idk if the warranty would cover such a thing. Do you have a pic? Whatever you do or say may not mean anything if it is visibly obvious that you hit something.

Galaxy Nexus ? 2

4. walter Lee

walter Lee Hypermiling Padawan

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I remember losing my brand new 1990 Honda Accord LX sedan's front passenger side tire on the second week of driving to construction debris. It was then that I learned that no Tire Manufacturer 's Warranty will cover road hazards, but when buying new/replacement tires at the local tire shops, one can buy a lifetime *road hazard* insurance/warranty which covers this kind of loss for a small premium per tire. Unfortunately, no car dealership will sell *road hazard* tire insurance for a new car and local tire shops will only sell *road hazard* tire insurance on the tires that they sell. Hence, the tires on a new car cannot be insured from the risk of road hazards. Some thing never change...

5. stevemcelroy

stevemcelroy Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    As others have said this is not covered - the OEM warranty most likely covers only premature tread wear.

Sorry to add to the bad news, but there is a decent chance that you will need 2 tires as you want the tread wear on pairs of tires to match. This helps with handling, but also keeps the differential from wearing out because the tires have slightly different circumferences - if the wear is not too bad perhaps you can just keep the mismatched set on the back.

6. subjective

subjective Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    When our Scion XB had only 1200 mi,a straight line sidewall opening developed in the Bridgestone OEM tire in which the Firestone store Mgr would not warrant the tire. I called customer service at Firestone and they traded the 4 tires for upgraded tires after telling them I did not trust this model tire. I don't know what Yokohama would do but I didn't trust this tire on our Prius lll. I sold them and got the Michelin energy saver a/s. My feeling is if hitting a curb at 10 mph and the sidewall blows out, I would think either the tire is defective or the sidewall is too weak to be safe. This Yokohama tire also doesn't handle in the wet. Its worth a try.

7. walter Lee

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    A tire blowout after hitting the curb at 10 mph could have been due to an underinflated tire.

8. The Critic

The Critic Resident Critic

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Hitting a sidewall at 10mph on any tire will likely result in this type of damage, so no, Yokohama should not/will not be responsible for your own negligence.

9. NYPrius1

NYPrius1 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I might be missing something, What did the tire do to cause you to hit the curb?

plam0ne likes this.
  10. subjective

subjective Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Looks like the tire lobby has struck! The idea was to try and help. OEM tires as delivered on new cars are almost always substandard, good for an average useful safe life of 20 k miles or less. I had these tires and got rid of them pronto. The sidewalls are very thin and on our Florida heavy rain slick roads slide around more than average. Ask any experienced tire mgr and they will you what they think of OEM tires. Just check the Tire Rack reviews by the owners of these tires and you will get a clear picture of what they think of them.

11. SoCalBPrius

SoCalBPrius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You'd be better off telling a half truth & making it believable than telling them you hit the curb because as others have said no manufacturer is going to warranty anything through own negligence.

12. ikagan

ikagan Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I suggest that you run your car into a concrete wall at aprox. 10 mph. Then go to any Toyota dealer, and tell them that your Prius just did it without you pressing the gas pedal.
    You will get a pair of new tires under warranty...

How do you say Chutzpah in English?

13. errantneuron

errantneuron New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Jeez, I was not expecting so much antagonism. Obviously it's my fault that I hit the curb. My question was whether this (or any) tire should develop a sizable hole in the sidewall at a very low speed or whether this indicated a defect in the tire. Apparently, this is expected behavior of tires. Thank you kindly to those of you who simply provided the information without adding snide negative commentary.

walter Lee: it was inflated to 38, i run 40/38 and check it every week.

ikagan: how do you say jackass in yiddish?

14. ikagan

ikagan Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I apologize, sometimes I just can't help it.

15. NYPrius1

NYPrius1 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    It's called ========> RESPONSIBILITY <===========

Get Over It!

16. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Damn, ya'll are harsh. It sounded like and honest question to me.

17. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I tried to give an honest, factual, and complete answer, it went downhill later.

18. NYPrius1

NYPrius1 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    It's Like Asking, My Toaster (That I purchased last Week) Stopped Working after I dropped it from the 10th floor at work. I think I'll send it back to Amazon under Warranty.
    OR
    I ran into a wall at 10 MPH and my front bumper is smashed. Will Toyota Cover this under my 3 yr 36K mile Warranty?

It just seems to be a matter of common sense to me.

Not trying to be harsh, but I see people all the time trying to avoid ======> RESPONSIBILITY <===========

jhinsc likes this.
  19. LTZR1

LTZR1 Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three

No, not really harsh at all. JimboPalmer gave a complete and thorough response and others chimed in
    that it's the guys fault for hitting the curb, NO FAULT OF THE TIRE, or it's construction, and that he should face up to the responsibility for his own mistake instead of trying to find fault with the tire and pawn off blame
    on something other than his own actions that caused the situation in the first place.

Thinking to try and have the tire replaced on warranty is nothing more than a feeble attempt
    to game the warranty system and run away from personal responsibility.

20. walter Lee

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III

The only functional (non-cosmetic) manufacturing defect of a tire that I know of is tread/ply separation - but it probably would not create a sizable hole after the tire hit a curb. It usually occurs in old tires (>=4 years old) and it makes a funny sound as the tires rotate "whopp whopp whopp."

Maybe its not the tire but the curb...

I have read that in Chevy Chase, Maryland there are these low concrete curbs which are suppose to protect pedestrians by destroying the tires of any vehicles that hit them. Several cars have hit them and busted their tires; the drivers claimed that these new low curbs are a road hazard, but the local government says these curbs are necessary to protect the local pedestrians from aggressive drivers and will not remove them. So there is now a requested that these new anti-car concret curbs be marked more clearly.

BTW: I still have my OEM Yokohama Avid S33D tires after 2.5 years and 24000 miles. Most of those miles are at very low speeds (under 40 mph). I have only sideswipe a concrete curb once with one of my tires - it caused the wheel cap to fly off ( luckily I was able to retrieve it - the wheel cap was slightly scuffed and the tire was unscathed). I still have most of my tread as well too ...