1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Flat tires on 19 inch rims

Discussion in 'Gen 5 Prius Main Forum' started by kellyj, Dec 31, 2023.

1. kellyj

kellyj Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    Just purchased a 2024 limited...when a fellow gen5 owner told me he's had 4 flats from hitting very small pot holes. He said tires were very difficult to find and he eventually sold his prius back to the dealer in trade for another vehicle...sounded a little off to me...but I decide to purchase the wheel and tire warranty as a precaution.

I couldn't find a thread on gen 5 19" rim owners experience with flats?

Just wanted to see if this is a real thing?

Thanks!

#1 kellyj, Dec 31, 2023
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2023
    Gokhan, TGrracie and PriusCamper like this.
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    A few have gotten flats, but nothing like that.

might be worth your while to add a spare, since the warranty won’t speed up the process of finding one if you go down.
    There is a good spare tire thread here by @Hammersmith

3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Any tire can pick up a nail.

4. Blackat

Blackat Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited AWD-e
    There are other wheel size options. Flats happen on any vehicle....

#4 Blackat, Jan 1, 2024
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2024
  5. BiomedO1

BiomedO1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    The 19 inch rim tires has a very short side-wall. If you hit a pot hole fast enough and hard enough, you can easily bend/destroy both the tire and rim. As people above stated, any tire can catch a nail - but if you drive like a manic; you can easily damage the tires and rims. Especially if your looking for pot holes to drive over.;):eek::eek::confused::sleep:

I personally prefer a 15 or 16 inch rims. Longer side walls that absorbs more road imperfections, cheaper tires, and better mpg.

Hope this helps....

6. kellyj

kellyj Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    Thanks for your reply! I occasionally do hit pot holes here in Orlando 25-30k plus driving a year its bound to happen. Guess I'll keep the warranty. I really just wandered if flats were as rampant as this guy made them out to be...????

7. kellyj

kellyj Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    Thanks!

bisco likes this.
  8. Hammersmith

Hammersmith Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited AWD-e
    They're not. Higher risk? Yes. Rampant? No.

One member on here blew out a sidewall going <5mph in his garage when the tire hit a curb at the perfect angle. I think I might of heard of another second hand account months ago of a sidewall flat. But there are enough gen5 owners on here now that drive in a large enough variety of conditions that we'd be seeing far more cases if it was as rampant as your guy was making out.

My guess is either he was exaggerating, the pot holes were a lot more severe than he was saying, or (my choice) he slightly bent the rim on the first flat and no one picked it up.

If it's something you're really worried about(say you've got a bunch of potholes on your daily drive), I'd look at getting a set of 17" wheels and tires(or even 16") for the thicker sidewalls, and then saving or selling the 19" wheels and tires. And/or carrying a spare.

As for 19" tire availability, you're probably not going to get same day replacement, but you should be able to get second or third day. TireRack keeps the Toyo Extensa and Michelin Primacy in stock, and they've got a distribution center up the road from you in Orlando. I ordered a set of Michelin X-Ice from TireRack on a Tuesday and they arrived on a Thursday(I'm approx the same distance from a distribution center as you).

#8 Hammersmith, Jan 1, 2024
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2024
    GeoJ and KMO like this.
  9. kellyj

kellyj Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    WOW...Thanks so much for taking the time with the thorough reply!!! - I definitely feel more comfortable now. I only have 7 miles in 3 days as we went away for the holiday - and I'm anxious to get out and drive it more and learn about its "quirks and features".

daisy555 likes this.
  10. ken2023

ken2023 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    We had a Lexus for a long time with slightly shorter sidewalls (45R), and put maybe 120K on it. It was my wife's car, here in NJ. She just drove right over whatever the road threw at her, hit a lot of potholes. Drove me crazy. And she hit some big ones. We got a lot of sidewall bubbles from the potholes, maybe 4 times, and always got them replaced when it happened. So my experience, complete sidewall failure is pretty rare. Obviously it can happen though. Lower profile tires are tougher, so there's that. But no experience with the specific models that are coming in the 19's, hopefully we'll get more choice at some point soon. From my experience though, I don't worry, except on long trips where I might get stranded, and at some point might get a donut to toss in the trunk. Driving around town though or in-state I have no concern.

11. JH26036

JH26036 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius
    Model:
    Limited AWD-e
    Anybody that has 4 flats in such a short time has major skills issue

12. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Sounds like he made a smart move selling it back before something worse happened

13. kellyj

kellyj Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    53 miles no flats....lol

daisy555 and bisco like this.
  14. daisy555

daisy555 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I needed this giggle. Thanks! I did not like reading through this thread. I live in an area that has tons of potholes. I’m not looking forward to this. I guess it’s better but my tire warranty.

Still waiting for an XLE AWD. I just checked dealers website and they have 4 primes coming in for customers.

15. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Seems like roads everywhere are going. We were driving to our dentist yesterday, and it felt like every block was a mess: sunken manholes, patches, divides/seams, and just crumbling. Infrastructure ain’t being kept up.

Merkey likes this.
  16. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    all the money goes to civil service retirement accounts now.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  17. John Diehl

John Diehl New Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I'm on my seventh Prius, I had a blow out with this 19 inch tire 1200 miles from home. The dealer in South Carolina said 5-10 business days to get tire. I met my son 1/2 way with a tire off my second Prius to get home. It took my dealer 5 business days to get the tire. While they checked out my tires they found a bubble and crack in rear tire. I live in Ohio and the tire came 6 days later from Denver. The Toyota boys in Texas merely stated that toyota doesn't make tires. So, we Prius buyers are out of luck. This tire is cheap and blows out very easily. I won't buy another Prius.

18. CeruleanBlue

CeruleanBlue Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    Took a week for me to get a replacement Michelin Primacy from Tirerack and was the only online source where I could find one. Toyota dealership told me four weeks to get one. This is insane Toyota!

19. JH26036

JH26036 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius
    Model:
    Limited AWD-e
    You literally can just move down to 17s and go 215/55/17 which is a very generic tire size...came on Camrys for many many years.

mountaineer likes this.
  20. Louis19

Louis19 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Upgrade
    Very nice observation , how about toyota selling prius with a tire/wheel package for people that do not want the 19 inch sexy wheels on the upper trim models.

daisy555 likes this.