1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Flooded JBL Amp in 2005 Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Gwen82, Mar 8, 2011.

1. Gwen82

Gwen82 New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi all:

Early Saturday morning we had a sudden downpour in my little Gulf of Mexico city, and the streets flooded while I was sleeping. We got about 2.5 inches of rain in a couple hours, and the water seems to have gotten just above the threshold of the car doors.

Unfortunately, I got about a half-inch of water or so on the passenger side of my Prius.

The car seems to be working fine with the exception of the funky smell (I have tried getting out the dampness, have taken up the carpet and sopped up as much wataer from the carpet pads as I could) but I will probably need to use some carpet cleaner) --

-- and the JBL amp.

The Bluetooth system is working, but I can't adjust the volume on the radio/CD/tape deck and no sound is coming out.

My understanding is that the volume control will do nothing if the JBL amp appears to be disconnected... which makes me believe that at least the electronics responsible for communicating with the radio are trashed.

Checked all fuses and they are OK.

Suggestions on how to proceed?

Should I abandon all hope and start shopping for a new (or used) OEM amp?

Are there suitable aftermarket replacements other than the OEM amp?

Is it possible the amp will recover itself after a few more days of drying out?

What sort of cost will be involved? I see my cheapest options (used OEM amps on eBay) are still about $100... should I be contacting my auto insurer about filing a claim under my comprehensive policy ($500 deductible)?

~ Gwen

P.S. I think I might start leaving my car in my company parking garage -- I live about 6 or 7 blocks from work and walk most days, anyway... and I wouldn't have to worry about street flooding if I did that.

P.P.S. Apologies if this has been discussed before, but I didn't see any real answers doing a quick search on the topic.

2. ahmeow

ahmeow Prius Lover

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three

Hello there,
    Sorry to hear your bad happening. I'm sure the JBL Amp. is dead. Go ahead to file a claim to your insurance co. and get a new one. Or you may acquire one from ebay.

Gas price is getting up. Glad that we have this good car.