1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Flooding Advice

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by dochoch, Mar 22, 2008.

1. dochoch

dochoch New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Hi:

I am a new chat room member. I hope someone can give me good advice on this matter:

I have a 2007 Prius that was in a flood. Some water came in through the bottom of the doors, soaking the floor. Now, when I start or turn off the ignition, there is a loud popping in the speakers. The driver and passenger airbags have become been disengaged.

I took the car to the dealer, who told me the water had entered a floor-mounted computer and that it would no lonegr work. Also the stereo amplifier would need replacing.

Bottom line: They told me that I should report it to my insurance agent who can then declare it a total loss.

Has anyone else had such problems? Is a new car the only option? HELP!

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The dealer is right. You should allow your insurance company to take care of the problem. If you are lucky they will designate the car as non-repairable.

Consider the extremely high electronics content within Prius and the hundreds of connections that might become intermittent when exposed to excess humidity or moisture. A flood will not promote long-term reliability of that vehicle.