1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Floor mats - are they a bit odd or is it me?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by vtwin_pilot, Oct 3, 2013.

1. vtwin_pilot

vtwin_pilot Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    First post. First of all, thanks to all you members for the wealth of information on this forum, which helped greatly this spring as I started to do research on buying a Gen III and finally bought one this summer.

Overall it's a great car and I really can't add any more praise than has already been heaped on it a million-fold.

There's one tiny thing that baffles me. It's so odd I can't understand how Toyota could plausibly offer this as a solution. It concerns the floor mats, and specifically, the system using the two little hooks to hold the driver's side mat in place. They're an absolute PITA! Either that, or I just don't get it. I googled this topic and searcjed here on this forum but didn't find anything, so apologies if this has been discussed already.

Because the two hooks are a pretty tight fit in the mats' eyelets and then coupled with the fact that the hooks spin, I find myself exerting far too much energy and blurting out cuss words in getting them out. Getting them back in is no less frustrating since the hooks typically move (spin) a bit getting the mats out, they don't line up with the holes, so you sort of have to guesstimate where to put the hooks before putting the mat in place. Again, am I missing something? Are mine broken and are supposed to be fixed in place? My wife's 2006 Volvo V70 has a much better solution. They have small plastic posts installed in the floor (for all mats, not just the driver's) with corresponding snaps in the mats, and so taking the mats out and putting them back in is a cinch. Why all automakers wouldn't follow the same simple format is beyond me. Mayb Volvo has a patent on it?

As a workaround, I just flipped the hooks 180 degrees and then use the hooks to basically hold the back edge of the mat instead of cussing and fiddling trying to get the hooks through the holes. Works well enough although the mat will creep up a bit since now nothing's holding it.

Anyway, can y'all enlighten me?

2. zhenya

zhenya Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    You can thank the unintended acceleration malarkey for Toyota's current floormat design - from the anchoring system to the short height of the mats, to the tiny gas pedals fitted, to the big lettering printed on the all-weather mats not to place them on top of the factory mats.

That said, I don't quite understand your issue. Are you trying to remove the center piece of the hook? If so, that's not what's intended. Rotate them 90 degrees, remove the mat. Replace mat, rotate 90 degrees and it locks into place. Pretty simple.

3. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    They are a pain to take out and put back in. The newer ones have a 1/4 turn lock system. Easier, but still not a cinch. A little tip - fold or roll the mat if you can and install the hooks first then carefully roll or unfold the mat to the floor. Vehicle turned off of course!

You'll find the hooks and the 1/4 turn systems are used in most Toyota vehicles of similar year. e.g. The 2007 FJ Cruiser uses hooks, like the 2007 Prius. The 2013 FJ Cruiser uses the 1/4 turn system, like the 2013 Prius.

4. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    They were different in 2010 then now. Now the design is great, you just rotate that little thing in the middle of the circle and they come out or lock in. Back in 2010 they hooked in with these hooks that were a pain in the butt quite frankly. So anyway, to the OP, they've improved upon the design now.

RaZa likes this.
  5. RaZa

RaZa Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Ah thanks paradox for clearing that up. I was reading this scratching my head wondering why the op was having problems. The newer design is very easy and I take the mats out all the time. It just takes seconds

6. jgilliam1955

jgilliam1955 Sometime your just gotta cry! 2013 Prius 4.

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Go to the Prius chat store & get the custom made all weather mats. Work great & you will not have to mess with your mats. You are right it is a great car!!!!

7. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I've got the same pita mats. if you press down on the hook, and up on the u/s of the mat just forward of the hook, and really coerce it, they'll come off. But I agree, they're a handful...

Plus, within 4~5 months of purchase, and this is with 13000 km yearly usage, the drivers side mat had a hole blown right through, where your heel rests when on the gas pedal. There's no rubber insert on them. In short, they're a pita, and a pos, lol.

mgb4tim likes this.
  8. milkman44

milkman44 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II

And just where else would a pos cause a pain?????????:LOL: :LOL:

Mendel Leisk likes this.