1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Floor Mats Info - Beware

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by fences, Jan 11, 2005.

1. fences

fences New Member

Hi All.

We just purchased wind deflectors and floor mats from WeatherTech (mats.com). We are returning the floor mats.

First, I should tell you that the customer service people are extremely pleasant to deal with and the shipping was lightning fast.

Next, the wind deflectors are very nice -- front are easy to install; the rear are as difficult as described earlier. My husband (super-experienced and handy!) had great difficulty installing the rear ones. Said they are bound to break at the top but that it doesn't cause installation failure or any problems with the quality of how they will work. They do look nice!

The mats -- are being returned. I have told the WeatherTech - mats.com folks about this and also written to them via their website. We are very disappointed and here is why:

We ordered the "Classic" front and rear. Total cost = $89. The Classic have the deep grooves, etc. to help with snow and mud. The color options are black, grey, and tan. Pictures are on website. The description for the REAR mats indicate that they may have to be trimmed. There is NO such indication in the description for the FRONT mats of a need for trimming or that they will not fit snugly. The picture has the footrest cutout and the color of the mats in the picture matches the color of the carpet.

When you enter the WeatherTech website, you are asked to choose the make, year, and then model of the car for which you are outfitting.

Bottom line here is that the front mats do NOT fit appropriately. There is an open edge all around and the color does not match the carpet. The open edge defeats the purpose of this mat and would actually just cause more work for cleaning.

WeatherTech (mats.com) told me that the mats are not custom and that they just determine which mats will best suit the car indicated. At 90 bucks, they could have done a better job choosing AND indicating that these are not custom. An expectation is created by entering the site and filling out that specific information. Further, the description needs to be more forthcoming for the front mats. Again, when there IS that info for the back and NOT that info for the front, an assumption (oops!) is made by the reader.

Our naivete?

So, at the very least, be aware that the fit and color may not meet your needs or expectations.

We are not pleased that we are now having to PAY for the return shipping. This seems like a very good outfit. I would sure have appreciated some customer service goodwill on the shipping costs based upon what we feel are legitimate observations about "failure" at their end.

Not saying we wouldn't purchase from them again or wouldn't recommend them to anyone else. Just feel folks should have a heads up about this item.

Best to you all,

~linda (and Vic)
    www.mendinfencesfarm.com
    Driftwood, '04 - solid 50 mpg - getting 53 on this tank (weather)

2. wildplaces

wildplaces Junior Member

I purchased a set of mats from matdepot.com...they have them custom cut by a third party contractor for the Prius.

I like their rubber material...instead of the grooves, they come with many round cup-like depressions and are cut specifically to the vehicle to cover all exposed surfaces.

They were not cut properly, and the matdepot people asked for a digital photo, which I provided, showing the fit. Mat depot had their contractor go and create a new template at a Prius dealer and they are having them resent this week. Thus far, they have not asked me to return the incorrect mats.

Will knokw by the end of this week or beginning of next how accurate they are!

wildplaces

3. dupreesdiamond

dupreesdiamond Junior Member

wildplaces,

What is the verdict on the mats from matdepot.com?

thanks,

4. wildplaces

wildplaces Junior Member

They re-shipped a third mat a few weeks ago, but the winter has been so messy, I haven't had a chance to try out the new driver's side mat! Will do it in the next few days.

The "cups" in the mat do a good job of holding water and grit, but get pretty messy. I haven't yet tried to hose them off, for the weather has been below freezing most of the time...will also try this in the next few days with a bucket of warm water and let you know.

wildplaces

5. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    wow paying for return shipping on products you are not happy with is completely out of line

6. jeromep

jeromep Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I also purchased mats from Weathertech and found them more than satisfactory. They fit snug to the footwell in some areas, but looser in others. The coverage is good, but not perfect, however I'm very satisfied with the kind of coverage they give, which is more than sufficient in my application.

The rubber is thick and soft, I'd describe them as floppy, very pliable. That makes the sung points a non-issue because the mat tends to conform to the shape of the footwell. I did not trim down my rears because leaving them at factory size provides more footwell side coverage than If I had trimmed them. Again the pliability of the material is working for the mat rather than against it.

There is a gap between the mat and the edge of the door jams on both front passengers. I have not had an issue of this area becoming dirty or exposed to shoes, however I have vacuumed the car a number of times since I purchased it and I suspect that is what keeps the dirt down in the few exposed areas.

All in all I didn't expect perfection, however I do recommend these matts to anyone that is interested. I can vouch for what they do, which is trap dirt and water in their grooves keeping it off the factory carpet.

I'm sorry that fences had issue with the mats. Maybe I'm less particular about product functionality or have different usage patterns.

7. Tempus

Tempus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I ordered the Weathertech Mats and returned them as unsatisfactory for the reasons fences mentioned.

8. wildplaces

wildplaces Junior Member

I must say I am impressed by the efforts of matdepot.com to get their mats right. They shipped an entire re-cut set to me a third time, and this time they got it right! They fit well, both front and rear this time. I like their design, although I did notice an elderly friend caught her high heel shoe in the "cup" of the mat when exiting earlier this winter, so make sure women who are wearing high heels are aware of this. If you'd like, I can take a photo of the mats and post on the board when I get a chance.

wildplaces

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dupreesdiamond\";p=\"72654)</div>

9. dupreesdiamond

dupreesdiamond Junior Member

Thanks wildplaces. I ordered mine from matdepot last night, based on your earlier comments. I am glad to hear that you are completely satisfied, and thanks for getting them straightened out for the rest of us!!!

Off to find a cargo mat.........

Thanks