1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Floormat maint.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by seasidetraveler, Mar 30, 2006.

1. seasidetraveler

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello fellow chatter's-
    Anyone ever tried to put your floormats in the wash machine? I have the light tan interior, and my floormat's are looking nasty! Wondered if that would work?

What else has worked for those that have the tan?

Thanks!

2. jrfaris

jrfaris Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(remaxmanager @ Mar 30 2006, 09:40 AM) [snapback]232421[/snapback]</div>
    Unfortunately, I have. They cleaned up ok but because of the rigid backing, they don't fit easily into my top loader. During the spin cycle, they extended above the tub and rubbed on the fixed shield above the tub. This caused a badly worn area on one of the front mats. Not very attractive. I've also used a household carpet cleaner with some success and many car washes will provide mat cleaning with their premium service. Now that you mention it, mine are dirty again ;)

3. bgdrewsif

bgdrewsif New Member

Phoenix, Arizona (formerly Bowling Green, Ohio)
    Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have not taken delivery of my Prius yet but I have already invested in the OEM all weather floor mats... they are heavy duty 1/4 inch-1/3 inch thick rubberized mats... I would recommend going to your nearest TOYOTA dealership and check the mats out, then do what I did and get them on E-bay or something... They cost about $90.00 but I got them for $50.00! (and mine are brand mew in original packaging)

4. seasidetraveler

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hmm, doesn't sound like I should stick them in the wash...

When my Prius was new and the passenger got a muddy shoe print, I cleaned it with a rag and "Oxyclean"- worked really really well, maybe I just should try that....

5. bgdrewsif

bgdrewsif New Member

Phoenix, Arizona (formerly Bowling Green, Ohio)
    Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Ugh... you couldn't pay me to deal with fabric floormats again...

6. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    a little "resolve" cleaner and a rag does the trick.

but i got sick of all that and switched to the oem a/w mats. mmm. easy.

7. seasidetraveler

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Maybe I out of break down... but $90.?!! LOL

Hmm... anyone found one's that fit well that are under $30?

8. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    B) we got ours for $40something

sorry. we don't count, don't pay list for anything at the dealer.

9. DaveSheremata

DaveSheremata New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    About 3 days into Prius-life, we (ok, she says me) spilled a whole Sprite all over the front passenger floor area.
    I wrapped the mat in giant beach towels, folder in half lengthwise into my top loader. Then I dried the towels separately, and then wrapped the mat in the towels again and ran the covered mat in the drier...

Everything turned out great.

As for the carpet area in the car, there's a cleaner that I use that I swear by called "Blue Magic". I first saw it at a car dealer when I recieved a new car 9 years ago and it had a big gob of grease on a fabric panel. Blue Magic made it dissappear without a trace, as it did the sticky Sprite splash in the Prius. I recently picked up two cans at Pep Boys.

Hope this helps,
    Dave

10. momfortheenvironment

ok I looked up oem but what is a/w-are these mats you get at Toyota? Or should I look around for cheaper?

11. momfortheenvironment

aha all weather, did some searching, yet to find floor mats, anyone seen them anywehre other than ebay? I love the idea of all weather hear in the northeast, the ones in my passat are yucky.

12. Red Ginger

Red Ginger New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(remaxmanager @ Mar 30 2006, 07:40 AM) [snapback]232421[/snapback]</div>
    Our pressure washer has worked great on floormats in our other cars. Haven't tried it on Prius floormats.