1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Florida facing collapse of primary care medicine

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by hycamguy07, Nov 14, 2006.

1. hycamguy07

hycamguy07 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    So says the American College of Physicians, which represents 120,000 U.S. doctors and medical students specializing in internal medicine and related subspecialties.

Florida has a reputation for being a litigious state with high medical malpractice insurance rates and low physician pay.

Geeze this is a true statement, with all the law suits for malpractice or anything that even resembles such.

More on the story:
    http://www.bizjournals.com/orlando/stories...94000^1373526#1

Health care cost message sinking in..
    Americans begin to see doctor's office visits cost more than a co-pay..

Americans have been conditioned to demand the finest health care that science can conceive, the best drugs, even the most long-shot experimental treatment. And they want it now.

More on the story:
    http://www.bizjournals.com/orlando/otherci...3394000^1374614

This is something that will affect us all in the long run, Im guessing that we will not beable to afford our healthcare in the future.... As it is now try going in and paying the dentist cash... :lol: you'll spend a week or two's paycheck to cover the bill..... :(

2. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    well. i can see that. deductibles go up every year, coverage decreases every year. my deductible went up, DH's deductible went up, used to be diagnostic services were covered 100% no deductible, and we just shelled out weeks of income for a set of mri's thanks to diagnostic services now being subject to the $1000(!) deductible.

the last 6 months has cost us our life savings. in healthcare bills. even with insurance.

this is a real sore spot for me... [​IMG]

3. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Emergency rooms are also in trouble.

Use of Emergency rooms is up 25%. The number of emergency rooms is down 14%. See a widening gap here?

I think one of the primary reasons for this problem is the abuse of the emergency room system. People go there because they can't get an appointment with their primary care physician or they have no insurance. Take those two components out and what's left? People with actual emergencies.

4. EricGo

EricGo New Member

There is only one solution to the medical crisis in the US:

We will have to learn to preserve the good health 99% of us were born with by adopting healthy lifestyles, and then die gracefully in our 8th and 9th decades without demanding futile care in the last 12 months of life when we are bed-ridden and cannot perform activities of daily living.

Of course a healthy lifestyle cannot be mandated, but no insurance and cash before treatment can be.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva @ Nov 14 2006, 08:17 PM) [snapback]349174[/snapback]</div>
    Actually, a group I see a lot of are people who are insured, and are happy to let the insurer foot the bill. Medicare and Medicaid recipients are the most glaring offenders.

5. EricGo

EricGo New Member