1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Fluctuating fuel gauge

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by catsbox, Aug 22, 2009.

1. catsbox

catsbox Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    This is the first tank I filled myself. After I drove about 80 miles or so, the top bar on the fuel gauge would disappear, then reappear, until it finally disappeared altogether. It happened randomly. It did not seem to be dependent upon how warm the engine was, whether or not I was on a hill or how hot the outside temperature was. Has anyone else noticed this? I have not seen it happen at any bar other than the top bar.

2. jay_man2

jay_man2 jay_man_also

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Several fillups here, and I've never seen that behavior. Once that bar dropped out at 80-100 miles, it never returned.

3. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I've actually had the gauge drop a bar only to reshow the bar again for a while and then it'd drop again. My 2006 never did that, ever.

I also notice that the 2010 drops it's first bar, at least for me, faster than my 2006 ever did. I am getting better overall mileage now with the 2010 but I don't know, I just don't like the way this gauge reacts compared to my 2006... Maybe I just need to get used to it. Having 2.1 gallons left everytime it's on the flashing bar burns me though...

4. anne1965

anne1965 Gotta love the game...

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Same with me. My Gen II never did that.

It seems to happen when the car is inclined to the left. I park at home with the right wheels on the sidewalk, so I see them blocks re-appear quite often.

5. DeanFL

DeanFL 2010 owner - 1st Prius

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Mine just did it yesterday. Filled up a few days ago and put on 40 or so miles. Then yesterday drove it on a 40 miles trip. After about 70 total miles on the trip odometer, it dropped the first bar (pip, I think you folks call it). My MPG since fillup was 50.2.
    Then over the next 20 miles or so, the top bar would appear then dissapear about 8 times every couple minutes. I wasn't going up/down grades, so the tank sending unit should not have been moving much. So - hmmmm - not a big deal, but, an early warning of an issue?

6. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I've seen it a few times, enough to speculate about a pattern. It seems to be just when the tank is still relatively full. Once you've consumed the first 2 gallons, it settles down and doesn't happen anymore.

So just the top 2 pips show that behavior. The rest are rock solid. The refill point (for me is 500 miles) is extremely consistent.

7. jburns

jburns Senior Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Not necessarily. I've see mine do it on the third pip from the bottom. No big deal. Regular gauges have moved up and down for years.

8. Paradox

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five

I just had it happen to me Friday driving home from work and it was at half a tank. I was at half a tank Thursday driving home from work. Drove in to work and then driving home Friday it went from half up one pip above half, then by the time I got home it was at half again... As mentioned, it did it to me driving on flat roads, no hills etc.

I'm not saying your wrong, it may happen more perhaps when near full, but it has happened at various levels.

9. gil

gil Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Mine fluctuates as well and I assume it is due to the lack of enough baffling in the tank, pretty normal in many cars, but not as noticeable in cars with an analog gauge. My 05 rarely dropped and returned a bar due to the bladder in the tank which the 2010 does not have. Also, the number of pips is greater in the 2010 than the more coarse gauge in the previous generation and was a source of complaints from a lot of customers. It is certainly not enough to complain about....

10. Paradox

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five

The 2010 has 10 pips, same as I thought the GII had... Most complaints weren't about the pips in the GII, it was about the bladder. They corrected this by going with a tank but now the fuel gauge does what we're discussing.

11. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    It's just a hypothesis. There's no where near enough data yet to for any of us to draw a conclusion yet. We know something is amiss. Scope is between full and half, so far.

Focus has always been on how to make "near empty" more accurate. Has anyone seen fluctuation at that point?

Also, has anyone checked if the fluctuation influences the distance-to-empty value?

12. jburns

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    As I said above mine occurred with the third bar from empty. As I also said I don't see it as any problem at all. It soon disappears again with no effect what-so-ever.

13. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I missed that, sorry. And yup, mine duration was short and had no effect either. I think it corrected itself the next time the Prius was started.

14. jburns

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Mine lasted about 5 miles before it disappeared again. No restart.

15. jbedi

jbedi New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I bought my Prius III about a month ago. I had driven about about 490 miles since last fillup, and my last pip began to flash. I drove another five miles to reach the first gas sttion. I was surprised to find that the car took only 9.6 gallons. (BTW this was my third fillup). Earlier two times the car took just over 8 gallons. That means that there were still 2+ gallons of gas in the tank. Does this make sense? Why does the flashing pip comes on with so much gas (15-20%of the tank) still in the tank? Could it be that the tank is not filling up fully?

16. Paradox

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five

It's been discussed that most people have around 2 gallons left when the last pip begins to flash. On average, I have 2.1 gallons left...

17. jbedi

jbedi New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Thanks for the response. Next time I will not get nervous when the flashing pip comes on. Generally, I try to fill with two pips left.

18. jay_man2

jay_man2 jay_man_also

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Update to this earlier post. Yesterday I observed this behavior. A pip disappeared at the 75 mile mark, then reappeared at the 81+ mile mark, while I was at a stop light on a downhill slope.

19. SCJoe

SCJoe New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Happened to me twice so far on the first tankful. First it went from 10 -> 9 -> 10 at about 75 miles, and this morning it went from 4 -> 3 -> 4 (at about 360 miles, it stayed at three for about 20 minutes of driving and went back to 4 after I parked it at the store then got back in).

20. edmcm2000

edmcm2000 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    My bet is that it happens to everyone, but some just don't notice it. How could it not happen? Gas in the tank is going to move around somewhat in any kind of driving and the fuel level sensor in the tank couldn't have any way to compensate for that. IMO, Edmcm2000, 2010 w/ Solar