1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Fluid Alternatives

Discussion in 'Prime Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by PixelRogue, Jan 7, 2023.

1. PixelRogue

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
    In reading through various threads here and elsewhere, there are a group who would swear by OEM labels for fluids, and others who would state OEM labels are merely fancy labels w/an up-charge premium, and some in the middle where OEM is necessary for some liquids while other others.

Interested in perspectives and ultimately a list of acceptable alternatives for various fluids from transmission to oil. Think many would be interested.

2. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Given how few fluid changes the Prius requires through even an extended lifetime, I've never felt that the dollar savings of alternatives ever added up to anything meaningful.

I use $3 oil filters and $5 windshield wipers to save money, and use the real Toyota juices.

Isaac Zachary and BiomedO1 like this.
  3. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    If you didn't think the other threads you looked at reflected a consensus or arrived at an agreed list of acceptable alternatives, what's the plan for making this thread different?

4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Toyota stance on the various fluids seems reasonable to me.

The ONLY fluid they get strident about is in the transaxle; with that they strongly recommend to only use Genuine Toyota ATF WS, and caution that the use of alternate fluids may damage the transaxle. That's what I've used.

With engine/inverter coolant they recommend their Toyota Super Long Life Coolant, but allow that alternate coolant would be ok if they meet (a fairly lengthy and esoteric) list of criteria. It's over my pay scale, so I'll just stick with the Toyota fluid.

Brake fluid, they only say DOT3. I used Toyota's.

Engine oil: they have a brand, but they don't push it. I used the Toyota oil up until this year. Was purchasing their bulk oil, but it became insanely expensive, and finally they wouldn't sell it to me. I used Costco's Kirkland oil last time.

5. BiomedO1

BiomedO1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    If your doing 5K mile oil changes $3 filter are probably good enough.

I tend to stray towards either OEM or another quality filter. That's just my humble option; unfortunately most of those alternative fluids and parts are steep in opinion and nonscientific terms that don't mean anything. ie. the fluid looks cleaner or the engine runs smoother - not quantifiable controlled test.

At least with OEM; you know what your getting. And a word of caution for those who think they're getting a great deal on an OEM part - They are probably knock-offs. Use OEM parts where they count; you can recover from bad wiper blades.

Just my 2-cents

6. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    It's pretty much whatever is in the remainder bin at rock auto. Sometimes it's a fancy brand, sometimes just an okay one. I was psyched one year when I got a bunch of premium Manns for $2.80 apiece. Last year it was a mix of Fram, Motorcraft and ACDelco, this year it was Bosch & Denso, but now up to $3.32.

Same strategy got us through about 250k miles on prior vehicles without any mishap.

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i'd like to see a breakdown of cost between oem and aftermarket maintenance for 10 years or 150,000 miles. hard to believe there's much savings if you're using known quality products

8. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    For oil changes? If you do 150,000 miles at 5,000 mile intervals, you'll do 30 changes.

At my local dealer, that's $74.95 a pop, $2,248.50 for the life of the vehicle (we will assume all prices stay flat over the vehicle's lifetime.)

At home, that's about $27.50 for oil & filter, $825 for life.

Lifetime savings of at home/aftermarket vs. oem at the dealer: $1,423.50

Meanwhile, coolant is going to be changed what, twice in 150k miles? It's $32 for a jug of the Toyota stuff and $25 for something Autozone says will work.

2 jugs of Toyota LLC for $64 vs 2 jugs of peak for $50. That's a $14 savings over the life of the car.

$1400 vs. 14. It's worth it for some things, and not at all for others.

Isaac Zachary likes this.
  9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    na, i mean diy oem vs aftermarket all fluids. i know diy saves a bundle.

if you could find a mech willing to use either, that would negate labor differences

10. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Well, it looks like Amazon is selling Toyota oil in bottles and what appear to be OEM filters... working from their prices it would be about $41 per or $1,230 lifetime, $405 more than aftermarket.

11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    if you change every 5k? but compared to what?

12. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    If you do your oil changes at a different interval (7,500 or 10,000 miles) the number of oil changes needed for the life of the car drops correspondingly

13. Isaac Zachary

Isaac Zachary Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    All I can say is I have a Toyota with just barely 200,000 miles that someone else owned before me. It has galling in the cylinders and burns oil.
    Why? Stuck piston rings.
    Why? The oil didn't get the crud out of the rings.
    Why? Probably didn't do frequent oil changes or didn't use the correct oil.
    Now it needs another engine to fix the problem, or just keep driving it until it dies as it gulps down a quart every 500 miles.
    What could have been done? Use the oil recommended by Toyota (any oil that fits their criteria) and done the oil change as per what Toyota really says. (For most people it's not yearly or every 10,000 miles. That's for people that either drive on a flat straight highway in Arizona all day or that don't plan on keeping their car for more than 100,000 miles or so).

14. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i mean, are you comparing the toyota oil and filter price to an aftermarket?

15. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    when I do oil changes at home, I'm using aftermarket filters. It's always one of 4 or 5 major brands. I get what's cheap that week. More or less the same for the oil- I'm using one of four national brand retail motor oils, again keyed to whichever was cheap when I was stocking up.

$825 for a lifetime of the opportunistically-purchased big-brand aftermarket
    $1,230 using Toyota oil and Toyota filters

both cases DIY

bisco likes this.
  16. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    thats my point exactly. so half that if you do 10k?

17. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Yep. And that reduced potential savings/overall reduced maintenance cost might tip the balance for you, it'll be different for everyone.

18. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    if someone comes up with the other fluid coolant alternatives, o/p will have good data to make a decision on.

19. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It's usually easier to find "cheaper" aftermarket oil and filters, but you can definitely find cheaper OEM oil and filters than "expensive" aftermarket.

It is easier to decide on OEM and look for sales than trying to compare many aftermarkets. But if the lowest cost is the objective, then yeah, go for the least expensive no-name brand you can find on a big box store shelf or online.

#19 Salamander_King, Jan 8, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2023
    Isaac Zachary likes this.
  20. Isaac Zachary

Isaac Zachary Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Depends on driving conditions and how long you keep the vehicle. If 150,000 miles later you start burning a ton of oil and the alternative is to replace the engine and you kill your cat and live in a California compliant state the 10K mile oil change is no longer half.