1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Fluid changes using a drill pump or some other electric pump

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Greg Kaiser, Oct 24, 2013.

1. Greg Kaiser

Greg Kaiser Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hi

I have a 2008 prius, 2004 pontiac vibe and 2010 subaru forester.
    I do maintenance on all 3 vehicles and was thinking of using a pump
    that attaches to the drill to pump out the contents of the oil pan and
    transmissions pans instead of going underneath. For the prius it is difficult
    to get it up on the ramps (sits to low). I have to jack it up a bit to get underneath.
    I can do ramps with the other 2 vehicles

Anyone else do things this way or is it better to do a full drain.

Thanks

Greg

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Certainly with regards to the engine, it is better to do a full drain of the old engine oil.

Regarding the transaxle, there is no dipstick so you need to work with the drain and fill plugs which require you to get under the car.

3. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Still have to get underneath for the oil filter removal.

Not necessary to put the Prius on ramps for oil change. I jack up the front using hydraulic floor jack. I jack it up for years now using the front pass side tow hook under the car. Then put jack stand under the jack edge below the door. And then leave the jack there too. Plenty of room to pull the filter and the oil pan bolt.

4. Rich12

Rich12 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Use a Pela suction pump for the oil. Filter can be removed without raising the car. I do it all the time.

5. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I've tried removing the filter with no jack and just can't get under there. The car is really low in the front as we all know.
    I agree with Pat though I don't think your getting all the bad stuff out just pumping it out.

6. Mr.Electric

Mr.Electric Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I think the pump is fine. There are all sorts of specialized fluid change pumps , the ones I have seen look like a giant bicycle tire pump. Mercedes pumps it out at the dealer now. Too much risk of killing the oil pan threads. A new oil pan will cost you a bundle. If you really want to get sludge out of a high mileage car you need to pull off the oil pan. Pumping out the oil removes most of the old oil but not all. Draining the oil removes more of the oil than pumping but still not everything.

7. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I agree the pump is not bad at all very convenient but you still have to remove the filter so your under there anyway. No way am I putting good oil back in with a 5-10K oil filter still in the motor. So what am I saving? The filter is a mess so then removing the pan bolt is easy comparatively. If you can get under there and remove the filter without a jack the pan bolt must be much easier.

I would imagine sludge would build up much faster if not allowed to drain out now and then. That's the whole idea of a drain.

And oil pan bolts are usually sacrificially soft so not to ruin the pan. You really have to go out of your way to mess up oil pan threads.

Good idea to replace that oil pan bolt now and then too. I'm on my second bolt with my Prius. It was $8 at the dealer.

8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i saw an electric pump at lowe's for lawn tractors. not sure if the hose would fit in the prius dipstick or not.

9. Mr.Electric

Mr.Electric Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV