1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Flybrid Flywheel Hybrid System Passes First Crash Test

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Wiyosaya, Oct 30, 2007.

1. Wiyosaya

Wiyosaya Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    Full article

Thanks to this site.

2. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Wiyosaya @ Oct 30 2007, 11:14 AM) [snapback]532451[/snapback]</div>
    I'm feeling really under the weather today, and a bit skeptical, too, I suppose...still, F1 has often been fertile ground for engineering developments that might actually reach production cars.

Interesting.

A few questions remain about how quickly the flywheel spins down...if I wait at a traffic light for a few minutes or in a traffic jam for longer, how much energy does it lose after, say, five minutes? Where does it go? Does it turn into, say, heat?

I have a feeling that, in F1, acceleration and deceleration happens more often and more forcefully than on the road (I hope, anyway)...wondering if an F1 car would put in/take out energy from the flywheel lots more frequently than a street car would...so issues of spin-down time don't come into play...(??)

Ugh, back to bed.

3. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Is Torotrak the same as Toro the people who make lawn tractors and gardening stuff? Would this be a first time lawn mower technology has found it's way into formula 1?
    I wanted a flywheel in my billycart as a kid but couldn't work out how to hook it to the wheels or how to spin it up to speed.

4. JSH

JSH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(patsparks @ Oct 30 2007, 07:14 PM) [snapback]532663[/snapback]</div>
    No, Torotrak is a engineering firm from the UK that makes CVT tranaxles that achieves infinitely variable ratios by using spheres to transfer power between two disks. Very cool technology.

5. nyty-nyt

nyty-nyt Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Interesting. I wonder if this would add much to small-engine high mpg vehicles. The emphasis of the article is high-performance vehicles and high horsepower. Race driving occurs with either full-gas or late near-lockup braking where the flywheel (5 kg only !) keeps spinning to add to the violent acceleration out of a corner. This makes sense, but whether it takes away from regen braking like in the Prius or spins down sitting at a 3-minute long red light, I question.
    That a 5 kg flywheel can significantly help a 1500 kg vehicle accelerate from a standing start seems amazing.