1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Flying Car Sighting -

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by asjoseph, Mar 20, 2009.

1. asjoseph

asjoseph Samuel, '04 Ruthiemobile

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    ... 2001 was supposed to be a space odyssey. Gold was supposed to be utterly worthless. We were promised a stunning blond with secret ancient magical power who visually materializes, once uncorked from the Gennie bottle in which she lives, to cater to our every whim and desire, who refers to us affectionately, as -- "master." We were promised robotic vacuum cleaners that automatically cook, clean and run our errands for us. And, we were all supposed to be hovering around, in our George Jetson cars, reaching out to new civilizations; boldly going where no man's gone before!

Well? Here we are. 2009. Perhaps our expectations were just a tad bit high:

Terrafugia's flying car makes maiden voyage | Cutting Edge - CNET News

Looks as though slightest, eencie-weencie bit of rain would more than suffice to splash that itty-bitty car, right down out of the sky!

Regards,
    ~ S a mu e l

| '88 Supercharged MR2 |
    | '04 Prius | '07 Outback |

2. KK6PD

KK6PD _ . _ . / _ _ . _

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I have been saying for years now, in fact it's in several of my post reply's,

"Where is the flying car I was promised as a child?"

It's about Damn time!!!

It actually looks quite interesting!

I would love to "TestFly" one

3. Tech_Guy

Tech_Guy Class Clown

Silicon Valley, CA --- Land of Fruits & Nuts
    Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Nice idea, but you still need a pilot's license to fly it and a runway to take-off and land. The FAA will not allow you to take-off and land from a public roadway.

I must admit that I'm rather curious about its' flying characteristics, especially pitch stability in turbulence.

Keith

Keith

4. EZW1

EZW1 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four Touring
    How about load rating? The way those wings fold makes me wonder.

5. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    seen this a few times already. for $189,000... i think i will pass. can get a small plane for $30,000 park it at the airport and take my Pri home

6. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    The write up said it falls into the light sport category, which makes the licenses easy to get. You need a driver's license for the road part too.

Tom

7. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm curious if the vehicle got an emissions waiver. Despite the fact that the Rotax 912 burns Mogas (probably premium), there's probably no cats, etc. on there.

In the initial flight video, there was considerable control deflection keeping it airborne, which suggests it still needs some work.

The design intent is airplane first, but with the ability to drive the car to/from the airport to your final destination. I didn't catch the actual wingspan, but on most public roads out here, I wouldn't chance anything narrower than 5 lanes (2 each way + center turn), and would need to avoid street lights. I also imagine that the rotate speed for takeoff is >= than your average urban speed limit.

Not to say I wouldn't want to attempt to fly one, just not something I could see myself owning.

8. qbee42

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Usually these things drive like an airplane and fly like a car.

Tom

9. Tech_Guy

Tech_Guy Class Clown

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    god help us if this thing ever gets into production. I'd hate to be flying my airplane and come across somebody flying one of these cars while using their cell phone or texting...

Keith

10. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Who says Pilots don't use their cell (w/ headset adapters) or text while flying? Not legally mind you, but it does happen.

11. KK6PD

KK6PD _ . _ . / _ _ . _

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yep, I can see it now, your behind a particularly sloooow craft, you hit that magic button in the steering wheel ....FOX-1, FOX-1, well that road hazard is now out of da way!!!

12. Tech_Guy

Tech_Guy Class Clown

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I agree with you that there are pilots that do indeed text / talk (cell phone) while flying. However, as you are well aware, one of the most difficult requirements of becoming a proficient pilot is training yourself to prioritize your activities in the following order: 1) Fly the Airplane, 2) Navigate, and finally 3) Communicate. In learning to drive an automobile, prioritization of activities is not taught. Consequently the default priority seems to be: 1) Make-up, 2) Talk/Text, and finally 3) Drive.

Keith

P.S. If these flying cars were sold at a "reasonable price", what do you think the insurance rates would be like ???? I could see a lot of people driving/flying VFR stumbling into IMC.

13. qbee42

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Most flying requires a lot less concentration than driving. While driving you are always a few feet away from hitting something. Flying, on the other hand, is usually done with large amounts of separation. If you aren't in a pattern, you can usually scan for traffic, and then take a good look at a chart or play with the avionics. Boating is like this too. It's all a function of traffic density and separation from obstacles.

Tom