1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Flying to California to buy new 2015 a good idea?

Discussion in 'Dealers & Pricing' started by frank168, Nov 14, 2015.

1. frank168

frank168 New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I live near Seattle but I noticed some Northern California dealerships have ridiculously good deals on Prius- advertised at $18,468 for new 2015 level 2 (plus TTL). This is ~$2000 cheaper than Seattle area quotes. Are there any drawbacks to flying one way to northern California to buy a Prius and then taking a couple of days to leisurely drive the 800 miles back home via scenic highway 101?

A call to my local DMV indicates the state of Washington will give credit for the California sales tax paid when I register the vehicle and the rates are nearly identical. Flights to San Jose or Sacramento are super cheap and I'm not seeing any drawbacks except missing out on free dealership oil changes and the need to buy a trip permit, both of which are trivial. Any advice appreciated as my 271,000 mile Corolla is soon to be out to pasture.

2. 348

348 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    I threatened to do just that and got my local dealer to match the price. I live just north of the CA border

Mendel Leisk and PLSPUSH like this.
  3. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    no sales tax in Oregon?

4. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I would it would be a great trip if you take back roads. Just print out an ad and call and confirm with dealership.

jzchen likes this.
  5. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Will you even have to pay sales tax to CA, considering you are taking it out of state? Definitely verify availability, as good deals are sometimes just gone by the time you get to the dealership to buy it! (Kind of like the good old "bait and switch".)

6. ForestBeekeeper

ForestBeekeeper Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I have been considering doing that from Maine. Dealerships here can not get some models that are marketed in California.

The same thing happens with Ford and GM dealerships.

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i would do it in a heartbeat. enjoy the trip!(y)

Merkey likes this.
  8. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Is the one way flight & the trip expense back less than what it would cost to ship the car?

9. Lucifer

Lucifer Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Unless Toyota dropped the free 36,000 service any Toyota dealer will do the service, if it's only available from the dealer you buy from, be careful, some service departments are deplorable, Many owners do their own oil changes because the dealers are rough to the cars.
    I'd talk to the sales manager before buying a plane ticket, some people are unscrupulous, including car salesmen, anything to get a customer in the door.

10. BZzap!

BZzap! Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The complimentary oil changes are part of the Toyota sales package and are obligatory to any Toyota dealership.

11. sillylilwabbit

sillylilwabbit Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    No sales tax in Oregon, but you still have to pay sales tax in your own home state unless you are able to register it in Oregon.

iPhone ?

12. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    When PiPs were cheap in the Northeast, lot's of Calfornia and other folks went to Maryland (full CARB). But some MD dealers (bad) wrongly told out-of-staters that out-of-staters did not qualify for the discounts, but other (good) MD dealers had no problem with it. You need to find a dealer experienced with out-of-state sales and willing to play ball. Diane Whitmire here (the high Priustess) is one such dealer.

Shipping the vehicle is an option many also did.

#12 wjtracy, Nov 14, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2015
    Merkey likes this.
  13. mmmodem

mmmodem Senior Taste Tester

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Sales tax will be determined by your zip code. It goes to the city that the dealership resides. WA would get nothing but CA would get slightly less due to lower WA sales tax rate.

25k mile free maintenance can be done at any Toyota dealer. I never took my Prius to the dealer I purchased from 15 miles away. I went to the dealer 1 mile away.

Before I fly though, I would make sure no dealer in WA will match CA. The only drawback I can find is that the Prius is a FWD very low to the ground vehicle. If it snows in the Mt Shasta region, you may encounter a more leisurely drive than you expected.

14. VovCA

VovCA Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Welcome to California. My coworker bought it for around $19.5 this summer in San Jose. If you'll need contact, I can ask him. At any case good luck. Keep us posted!:)

15. roscorx8

roscorx8 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I'm thinking of doing the same thing! I live in Colorado and been trying to get dealers to come close to California price +shipping. I think I'm getting close....:) I would of course like to purchase locally but $18,695+ $800 to ship= $19,495 is hard to pass up. That is for a Blizzard white model too. If I have it shipped I don't have to pay CA tax at 8.75 vs my 6.55. I love the idea of a road trip, but with my wife being pregnant and due any day now, its not really the best of time for a road trip!

16. bingee3

bingee3 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Go for it , enjoy the trip

Merkey likes this.
  17. frank168

frank168 New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    An update: It's tentatively looking as though Capitol Toyota in San Jose is willing to honor their advertised special. I've been told over the phone they have a Prius set aside for me and will be forthcoming with sales documentation at the advertised price after the weekend. Nothing formal in writing yet, but I'm optimistic and willing to walk away if there's any bait-and-switch. Apparently they deal with out of state buyers quite often, primarily from Arizona. Hopefully the deal will go through because this is about the price of a new Honda Fit subcompact. I am going to call the WA DMV again Monday as I want to hear once more they will credit the sales tax paid to California.

New 2015 Prius II, Blizzard Pearl
    MSRP: $25,695.00
    Your VIP Price: $21,495.00
    Toyota Rebate: $3,000

Your VIP Price: $18,495.00 (before TTL)

18. roscorx8

roscorx8 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    That's great, Capitol Toyota is same dealer I've been talking with! Keep us updated on how it goes.

19. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    no. You pay taxes at registration. The only problem it will take longer until you get title, or you would have to go to DMV.

20. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I live in Minnesota. Purchasing my plug-in Prius from Diane in California was a no-brainer. Timing didn't work out though. So rather than flying there, I had it delivered to my driveway. That was surprisingly easy to do and totally worth it.