1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

FM Modulator for iPod + Shark Fin = "No Go"

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by efusco, Dec 30, 2007.

1. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    FM Modulator for iPod + Shark Fin = "No DICE"

Out of frustration with the DICE crashing my MFD I decided to go with a nice Kensington FM modulator that would connect to my DICE iPod mount and avoid the whole issue of excess data going through the MFD.

I installed it this morning and could barely pick up the signal...really got nothing but static on the best channel I could find and couldn't even pick up the signal at all on several other channels (can program any FM frequency with this model).

So I'm back to square one...fed up with the DICE, can't get an FM modulator to work, and no other realistic options. A similar model modulator works great in my wife's Highlander Hybrid, and I wonder if it would work OK with the Prius with the old whip antenna, but I don't want to pull off the shark fin.

Argh!:eek:

2. Vagabond

Vagabond Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Re: FM Modulator for iPod + Shark Fin = "No DICE"

I'll sneak in a Silver kit for you when we start sending out them for the 08's if you like :)

3. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

Do you think it'll make a difference? Perhaps I don't understand what the "silver" kit is.
    I though this was an issue with the BUS capacity, not the DICE itself. I'd be VERY thankful for any solution that would fix this.

4. Vagabond

Vagabond Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two

Not capacity, but timing.

As for fixing it, there's only one way to find out :eek:
    The code for the Silver is totally rewritten.

5. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Interesting.

I've had the MFD freeze up once (that thread where I said I had the car at the border and was cycling on and off) and the DICE freeze twice (once it said PAUSE, the other time it had the CD-TEXT of the last song it played on the iPod). All 3 times, I just had to disconnect and reconnect the power to the DICE.

6. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Do you have XM going through that "Y" connector? I do, so there are multiple data streams trying to go through at once.
    The main time I get freezing is when I'm using NAV, that seems to really get things mucked up.

7. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Did you try this FM modulator in the wife's car? Maybe the unit is faulty?

8. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I didn't, but good idea, I will...likewise I try hers in my car.

9. TheForce

TheForce Stop War! Lets Rave! Make Love!

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I had an old belkin 4 channel transmitter that I used in my old car. It would barely get a signal even when placed next to the antenna. Well after a few months of use the wires to the jack broke. I decided to replace the jack and found that the antenna was in the short 4" wire that lead the the jack. So I did some searching and found the proper antenna length to tune to the FM band and cut a 4 wire telephone wire to length. I think it was around 9 feet. After I hooked everything back up I was able to get a signal from about 75 feet away. Only down side is that I had about 9 feet of wire wound up in my car.

If you like to do some modifications you could try the same thing with your transmitter. Having a properly tuned transmitting antenna will result in much greater broadcast distance. In fact one of the channels that was available on my belkin was in use by a station. With my modification I was almost able to over power the station.

You could always buy a 1w FM transmitter kit ( you have to promise to export it ;) ) and you could have a mobile pirate radio station. :D