1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Foaming for a trip

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by hefaust, Feb 7, 2008.

1. hefaust

hefaust New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Hi all,

I'm going to be taking a trip in the Midwest this weekend, traveling 200 miles on the interstate in frigid temperatures. I've had my Prius foamed for several weeks, which has netted me an average of +4mpg. The foam has worked extremely well for local and rural driving (tank average - 50.1mpg).

However, I've not had the car on a long distance trip yet and am worried about the possibility of overheating due to driving at interstate speeds for over 3 hours. I've decided to remove one piece of foam on my lower grille to allow a "bit" of air to keep things cool. A ScanGauge would sure be nice, but my wife put the pinch on my credit card. Any sage advice would be greatly appreciated.

Erick Faust
    2008 Barcelona Red #2
    2232 miles
    Lifetime average - 49.2mpg (vehicle was bought in winter)
    Tank average - 50.1mpg
    Scion Tc self-dimming rear view mirrow with homelink
    Mudguards
    Exact mats
    Rear bumper applique
    EV mode circuit
    Nokian WR tires
    EBH - back ordered
    Dice interface - near future
    ScanGauge - near future

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You'll be fine. If temps exceed 60F outside you might wanna pull one more piece of EBH foam just to be absolutely sure you're safe, but just one, even at that temp, should be fine.

I would leave the car fully blocked, even at interstate speed, up to about 40F. But I can monitor.

Where you going to be in the midwest? I'm near Springfield, MO if you're going to be in the neighborhood.