1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Fob button is not popping, repair ?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Victorio Mo, Oct 27, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Victorio Mo

Victorio Mo Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius

Open button on my fob stopped working, it's kinda stuck, no popping ,can't push it.
    Puzzling how I can open /or break??!!/ this housing, after taking out battery I still don't see any screws/fixture that allows me to dissamble it. There is a tight seam in the middle and look like it glued together..

Anybody try to do this? I want to check underneath that button probably some rubber spring on circuit that need to be changed, or to change the whole housing ??

All electronic works OK on my FOB, I can use it remotely, just that stuck button

Thansk
    Mario

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You can use a sharp exacto knife (rasor blade edge should work too) and pry the button back up. Just cut a small slit on the side (it's a small squarish button).

Youtube has many videos on this subject

3. Victorio Mo

Victorio Mo Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Tx, JC, I got an idea.
    I think electronic housing is hot melted together, I tried to carefully blade to separate but not avail.

M

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    if you've never opened it before, they can really get stuck together. keep working at it. you're gonna have to open it at some point to replace the battery.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  5. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I take it from reading your post that YOU HAVE opened the fob itself.
    Your question is how to get to the actual button part. Which is part of the electronic assembly within the fob.

I don't know.

You might want to investigate youtube.

Somebody has probably done it.
    But I'd be as careful as I could be. That's more than just opening the shell.

6. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You don't need to open anything, just stab a sharp knife into the stuck button edge and pop it back up

7. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I think that horse has left the barn. It's already been opened.

I hope for the OP's sake it can be as easy as just prying the button back up from the outside.
    That would be the easiest and obviously the least intrusive "repair". How long it might last? Well...best of luck.

8. Victorio Mo

Victorio Mo Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Tx, all
    there is NO problem to replace battery, here is super video and it's very easy:
    How to Replace the Battery in a Toyota Prius Key Fob - Snapguide

However to get into circuit / switch/button area we need more breakage, and I stopped on this. I don't think it's snapped, no screws, d'be just melted.
    I go with JC91006 recommendation, will just find good blade.
    I think his dog can do this easely :)

Ma

Hey all !!!
    Case is solved , you can pry gently this flexy-rubberish cover over buttons, which is on other side from Toyota logo, starting from LOCK button, it go quite easy, this is still rubber that has snapping/grooving profile, so after examining my button and taking on plastic chip that blocked area I just snapped it back and it's worked OK, nothing else needed. at the end it might be bit loose, then you can use bit glue.

One more time I'm talking about rubber/sh/ cover over those 3 buttons. Battery is different and it's on other side.

I used just tip of sharp knife for this.

M

9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    congrats.(y)