1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Fob Failure to Open Vehicle

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by skruse, Sep 9, 2008.

1. skruse

skruse Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I rode in the 2008 High Sierra Fall Century Bicycle ride on Saturday, 6 September. I drove over the Sierra Nevada to south of Mammoth Lakes. I slept outside, but next to the Prius. When I awoke at 6:00 a.m. the FOB would not open the vehicle (it was not the FOB battery). I walked away from the vehicle, then returned - still no reaction. I tried every door. Finally, the vehicle opened by touching the rear hatchback. Strange. I have never experienced this before. Vehicle is performing well with excellent fuel economy. Does spending too much time close to the vehicle put the bluetooth in suspension?

2. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    The fob is in no way related to the Bluetooth system.

When you say that the fob would not open the vehicle, do you mean that pressing the unlock button of the fob failed to unlock the car or that the door would not open when you touched the inside of the front handle?

Tom

3. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If the SmartKey fob is stored adjacent to the vehicle, then after a while the SmartKey system will turn off to reduce 12V battery drain. When that happens, use the fob button to unlock the vehicle.

Also don't forget the mechanical key hidden in the fob, which you can use as a last resort to open the driver's door.

4. Ichabod

Ichabod Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    And to clarify Tom's statement about bluetooth, since you may scratch your head: "bluetooth" refers to the RF system that allows your phone to connect to your car. The smart key is not bluetooth. So your fob is related to smart key, but not bluetooth.

And PW, since you seem to know: you say SKS will turn off to reduce 12v drain. But does that mean you have to toggle the switch under the dash to get it back on?

5. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I believe that SmartKey will automatically resume its operation if a fob button is pressed. If not, then pressing the dash switch should turn it back on.

6. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    My understanding was that it automatically turns back on, but I haven't tried this to verify it.

Tom

7. paco-shalom

paco-shalom Veteran Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    This is great info. I have also noticed that certain other electronic devices in close proximity to the FOB can interfere with the SmartKey operation.

For example, when my phone (PocketPC) is in the same pocket with my FOB, the SmartKey system will not work at all. As soon as I take the phone or the FOB out of the pocket, it works just fine.

I have also noticed that when I drive rented Prii, I have to push the button on the FOB to open the car and insert the FOB into the slot to start the car - how quickly I have been spoiled with the convenience of SKS (the rental did not have SKS). :)