1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

FOB got washed... Sand in interior?

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Starship16, Aug 12, 2018.

1. Starship16

Starship16 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    The do-it-yourself carwash has a hand-held air blower to help dry the car. Works good. I blew out the water from the air intake vent, just below the windshield... and a ton of sand must of went thru the dashboard vents, and all over the interior. Where the h*** did all this sand come from?!? Sand went all over the dashboard, seats, floor, iPhone... even in the glovebox. The cabin filter was a mess. Got a new one. There was even sand in the engine compartment. Put in a new air filter.

Just another Prius Oddity! :confused: Did we have a sand storm last night? Like in Phoenix? That is Phoenix
    Arizona, from a few days ago. What a sad mess for those folks. But no way did it reach California, I don't think.

IMG_0237.PNG

Got the car cleaned up. Then accidentally put the FOB in the washing machine. :ROFLMAO: Here it is drying out. Put in a new battery. Works fine. And nice & clean. :)

IMG_1032.jpg

#1 Starship16, Aug 12, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2018
    krmcg likes this.
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    wow, you had a busy day.:unsure: glad your fob is okay!(y) any grandchildren dumping sand in there?:cool:

3. Starship16

Starship16 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    No visitors lately, but that was my first thought. It sure appears to be deliberate. I parked at the coast in 3 different locations yesterday. Possibly another Prius hater? It is a very fine grain of sand, very odd looking. And how did it get under the hood? Now I need to spray wash the engine, but very hesitant to do that. Can it be done?

I sure am glad the $500 FOB is okay. It was banging around on the bottom of the washer. I guess it fell out of the pants pocket.

#3 Starship16, Aug 12, 2018
  4. Starship16

Starship16 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Bisco, nice to see a picture of your PIP. :) Is this one like yours? I like that color.

IMG_0282.JPG

#4 Starship16, Aug 12, 2018
    bisco and Raytheeagle like this.
  5. krmcg

krmcg Lowered Blizzard Pearl Beauty

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I have spray washed my engine a couple of times without any issues or problems...

Starship16 likes this.
  6. Starship16

Starship16 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Thanks Kevin. Good to know. I did it many times to my Camry, but the Prius engine is a new beast. :LOL: I'll do it tomorrow. Thanks.

Edit: On second thought, I don't think anyone poured sand in my vent. What kind of nut would carry sand around with him? And it's all over the engine. How would someone throw sand in there? Doesnt look like beach sand. Very strange.

#6 Starship16, Aug 12, 2018
    krmcg likes this.
  7. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    No idea about the sand - nor moon dust.

But the FOB - not surprised it's working well. I've had that with at least 3 mobile phones (old ERIKSSON & Nokia 3210s) - they were part of a fleet we had when I was Business Manager at a large school - and one was my wife's.

The 3 school ones were dropped in puddles, etc, my wife's in the washing machine. The important thing is to rinse carefully - if you have detergent residue, it could kill it in time. I dismantled as deep as I could. My electronics tech suggested washing them in very hot water - and I blew as much water off as I could, then hung them to dry for a day before reinserting the battery. The display was a bit cloudy for a week or so but came good.

On the other hand, my daughter's was unable to be resurrected - she dropped it in the ocean.

Starship16 likes this.
  8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    what about toilet water?

kithmo, Raytheeagle and Starship16 like this.
  9. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hmm - heard about them - but fortunately never encountered one.

The 2 school ones were back in the old days when phones clipped on your belt - which weren't always secure if you bent over. One was the groundsman who ran in to turn off a fire-hydrant some little urchin had turned on - and bent down to pick up the handle he'd dropped - the phone was in 3" of relatively clear water. The 2nd was in a muddy puddle.

Starship16 and bisco like this.
  10. Starship16

Starship16 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    LOL!!!!!!! :eek: :ROFLMAO: :D

I am very surprised my FOB survived that rough washing machine. And must be a Full Moon. I got a Prius full of moon dust. I'll never get it all out of there.

#10 Starship16, Aug 12, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2018
    Raytheeagle likes this.
  11. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Hopefully nothing else in that water at the time of immersion :eek:.

That could gum up the works even more:cool:.

bisco likes this.
  12. Starship16

Starship16 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Gives a whole new meaning to "Eat My Dust." :LOL: Change that cabin filter-element. Often.

That vent below the windshield. That's the forced air / fresh air intake, correct? Think of how much dust and dirt accumulates in there over the years. In years past, before there were cabin filters in the dashboard, how much dirt were we breathing in everyday? (Probably the same amount as just walking around outside.)