1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Fob stopped unlocking driver's door

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by VBlank, Mar 21, 2012.

1. VBlank

VBlank New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The fob of my 2006 prius stopped unlocking the driver's door, it does unlock, however, all other doors. Also when locking the car all doors lock no problem, so the weird thing is the "unlocking of the driver door" that doesn't work unless I use the little key inside the fob. I already changed the battery in the fob and it is still doing the same thing. Any suggestions on how to fix this issue? many Thanks!

2. San_Carlos_Jeff

San_Carlos_Jeff Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    Does the drivers door unlock if you use the switch inside the car? If not then it's the drivers lock actuator that has a problem not the fob. The drivers door gets used thousands more times than the others so it wouldn't surprise me if it's worn out and/or broken and the other doors are fine.

3. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    It's a problem with the lock actuator on the driver's door. Most likely it needs lubrication.

Tom

4. VBlank

VBlank New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks- it makes sense that it may be door and not the fob the part with the problem. Now the passenger door (behind the driver) is acting up too! unlocking and locking after many tries using the fob.... both doors unlock/lock using the switch inside, so i am guessing this a lubrication issue like qbee42 pointed out.
    Do you have any ideas how much this lubrication and/or actuator replacement may cost? i have the feeling is not going to be cheap.
    Thanks for your help!

5. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
  6. VBlank

VBlank New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the link Tom, this is really helpful. I will check the battery again, I changed it about a month ago but who knows maybe the battery is low.
    thanks again for your help!!!