1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Fob Stuck! Keyfob stuck in ignition slot...

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by Gypsy62, Aug 26, 2018.

1. Gypsy62

Gypsy62 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    AAARGH!
    Last night I dropped my '05 at the valet at the MGM Grand in Vegas before a show. I thought it was worth the $24 + 5 tip to save the Saturday night hassle of self-parking: Hahahaha... lmao.
    They brought the car out at 11:30, I drive back to my hotel, go to remove my fob and:
    - They had broken off the fob's black plastic loop and my little attached keychain bottle-opener is gone
    - They jammed the fob into the ignition and now I can't pry it out.

Obviously, the idiot(s) did not properly shift it into "Park" and then yanked on the fob so hard they broke the fob's plastic keychain retainer loop. Grrrrr.

After it is removed (either by a locksmith at MGM's expense or myself) I'll make a replacement "grab-tab" using gorilla tape stuck to the fob.

I'm checking-out shortly and heading back to chew them out in person, however when I called last night MGM juggled me and said that the valet is a 3rd-party operation.
    I know how this is going to go:
    "If you accept the car we have no liability..."

Surprisingly, I'm having trouble searching threads on this subject here. The most recent is dated 2015, so hopefully there's fresher advice than:
    - Disconnect the battery and "hope" that the fob lock solenoid "releases" the fob
    - Disassemble the dash (!)

If that remains the best advice, a few questions:
    - Re disconnecting 12v battery, both pos/neg terms and for how long? Or, as soon as energy absent should the solenoid retract?

- I haven't yet been out to the car this morning: Presuming nobody jumped-in and drove-away, it sounds like I may be greeted by a dead battery.
    If so, any Prius-specific battery-jumping 'no-no's'?

- Re dash-disassembly solution, anybody know how extensive the required disassembly is? Procedure details?
    (I brought minimal tools on this trip)

Thanks!

Keywords: fob key-fob jammed jam unremovable won't retract p*nche valets

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    don't cross polarize positive and negative, that can get expensive.
    no need to start the engine on the donor car.
    you have a 'jump point' in the fuse box under the hood.
    there is a little red cover over it that flips up, hinged at one end.
    the jump point only has metal one one side, make sure the clamp is connected securely to it.
    negative to any clean bolt head, etc.
    i never valet.

all the best!(y)

WilDavis likes this.
  3. Gypsy62

Gypsy62 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Update:
    First, thanks for the jumping-terminal heads-up!

So, I just went out to do battle and...
    My fob was sitting under a clipboard on the passenger seat!

These beasts are still new to me.
    For example, I now gather that:
    - You don't need to have the fob in the ignition slot, just within X distance of the ignition (like sitting on the passenger seat)
    - The ignition 'pouch' that the fob slides into is not physically deep enough to insert the entire fob; there's always about a 1/2"/12mm sticking out.
    - It has solenoid-controlled tabs that can refuse to release the fob, but there will always be a portion of the fob protruding.

So, what I was feeling was the little ignition flap not a completely-inserted and jammed fob.
    Hey, it was late, dark and I was, say, .07 bac.

Sorry to bother the crew.

Thanks.

bisco and Mendel Leisk like this.
  4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I'm not sure of the pros/cons on that, but the Owner's Manual says to start the donor car, let it run a few minutes.

Attached Files:

bisco likes this.
  5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    me neither, but knowing toyota, that's just a cut and paste from their gasser manuals.:rolleyes:

i suppose if the donor battery is weak, there won't be enough voltage the prius computer.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  6. ITBland

ITBland Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    If you don't have the manuals, go to the Toyota Owners' site and download them. Starting at page 24 is the explanation of the Smart entry and starting system. The site also has a FAQs page with short explanations. You can create an account and see information Toyota has about your car. Good Luck!