1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Fob = That Black Thing

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by skruse, Jul 21, 2006.

1. skruse

skruse Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Had a slow leak in the front left tire repaired yesterday. I had picked up a small nail. When the service technician asked for the keys I explained Prii do not have keys. The technician said, "Oh yeh, that black thing."

I took our Mountaineer to another shop yesterday to have the air conditioner repaired. The very knowledgeable and credible owner stated there is a big gap between hybrids and standard ICE-only vehicles - knowing how to repair and maintain them. The owner stated they are having a difficult time recruiting and hanging onto qualified and trained technicians. This independent shop makes an effort to keep up with continuing education and they realize they have much to learn regarding hybrids.

Toyota has a training program with some Toyota dealers and local community colleges to recruit, train and encourage quality people. Interns must enroll in a community college and work toward an A.S. degree. They must purchase their own tools and work for a Toyota dealer 30 hours per week until they complete their two-year program. Toyota, the dealer, customers and the employee win - proving for sustainable and credible service and employment.

Referring to the Fob as "that black thing" reinforces that most people and service centers don't have a clue regarding hybrids and Toyota. With Detroit dominant in many people's minds, we have a long way to go to solve a number of problems - fuel economy, air quality, durability, reliability. The average person has never heard of Bluetooth, let alone its use in vehicles in place of metal keys or use for wireless connections to printers, for use of cell phones in cars, etc.

2. wstander

wstander New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(skruse @ Jul 21 2006, 09:03 AM) [snapback]289984[/snapback]</div>

My local independant shop is actively pursuing training in hybrids and other 'high-tech' issues, so the question may become moot. (BTW: I gave him one of the cards on how the key fob functions for future use on my car as well as other Prii)

Unless.

Unless Toyota/Honda permits entry to classes in their specific technology courses to only company interns and employees (perhaps citing 'proprietary information').

Is that the case with the cited training program? I sincerely hope not, because that will cause a lot of people to look elsewhere for an automobile. My personal experience with dealer service has been that they keep the car for a very long time to conduct a short service or repair, but they are not very flexible to the needs of the one car family that can ill afford to leave the car all day for an oil change or other simple service.

3. Jim1eye

Jim1eye Shaklee Ind Distributor

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(skruse @ Jul 21 2006, 12:03 PM) [snapback]289984[/snapback]</div>

Oh, c'mon, give the guy a break. I think you're splitting hairs. You can not conventionally enter or move the car without it. It is a key.

IMHO you busted his balls, so he dumbed down his description for you.

4. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    truth be told, in the majority of cases if you want to work on high tech, you get a dealer job. it's unfortunate but true at this point.

5. wstander

wstander New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galaxee @ Jul 21 2006, 10:31 AM) [snapback]290023[/snapback]</div>

But does Toyota or Honda prohibit non-company techs from learning at their schools (assuming that they have such a thing)?

6. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    oh yes, they all have their own training program. i actually haven't heard about a non-toyota tech at any training class DH has been to. in fact, toyota has a very stringent requirement list for their hybrid training through dealerships. it involves

-ase master certification
    -toyota certified, toyota expert, and toyota master certifications
    -5 years with the company

which makes me think you've got to be with the company to get into the training course. i believe there are a number of trade schools offering a basic course in hybrid vehicles now, but of course the number is still small.

7. Rangerdavid

Rangerdavid Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    You kidding???? I wouldn't even consider taking my Pruis anywhere but a certified Toyota dealer for repair/maintenance work. Case in point, if the independent technician didn't even know how the key FOB works, then I don't want him under my hood................ :lol: :lol: :lol:

8. KMO

KMO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    It's you who's got the attitude problem. It's not a "fob", it's a key. A "fob" is a non-functional decorative doo-dad attached to a keychain or pocket-watch. The "black thing" is a key, albeit an electronic one, and is referred to as such in the Prius documentation.

So when you started going on with "the Prius doesn't have a key", the tech probably assumed he was dealing with someone slightly retarded and explained it in words of one syllable for you - "the black thing".

And also, any other posters who seem to think that "fob" stands for something and should be written "FOB" should be a little slower casting stones at technicians...

9. vtie

vtie New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(skruse @ Jul 21 2006, 06:03 PM) [snapback]289984[/snapback]</div>
    I always refer to it as the key myself. Why not? It's a medium that allows one to unlock something. How it exactly looks or works is irrelevant. Even in computers, the code you have to enter to unlock a piece of software is often called a key.

A case of acute smug?

10. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    What are you trying to fob off on us? Some friend of Bill at a forward operating base watching the boys of Fall Out Boy? You must think we're fresh off the boat.

You can get an electronic key FOB the dealer.

Wikipedia says:
    A key fob is a chain used to secure a pocket watch to an article of clothing, or any ornament that hangs from such a chain. This includes items hanging off a keychain. The term is also used when referring to electronic security key devices.

My dictionary says:
    fob |fäb| noun (also fob chain) a chain attached to a watch for carrying in a waistcoat or waistband pocket.
    • a small ornament attached to a watch chain.
    • (also fob pocket) a small pocket for carrying a watch.
    • a tab on a key ring.
    ORIGIN mid 17th cent.(denoting a fob pocket in a waistband): origin uncertain; probably related to German dialect Fuppe ‘pocket.’

So for those people debating a "holster" for their fob on another thread, they just need a fob pocket.

Can't you guys find something better to argue about?