1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

FOB vs. KEY

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Stan Wilson, Mar 7, 2004.

1. Stan Wilson

Stan Wilson New Member

Can one take the tiny key out of the fob and place it on a separate keyring to prevent lockout or will the transponder fob not work without the little microkey in it?

Picked up my white Prius Saturday and have played with it all weekend.

2. Tempus

Tempus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    The Prius won't let you lock the Fob in the Car if that's what you're worried about, at least not with Smart Start/Entry

3. rockluvr

rockluvr New Member

You CAN lock the fob in the car if it is not in the ignition if you don't have smart entry/smart start. If the key is in the ignition, then no.

4. Stan Wilson

Stan Wilson New Member

I guess what I am asking is: can I keep the little metal mechanical key separate from the rest of the fob...will the fob transponder still work to run the car. I don't have smart anything.

5. xlarimer

xlarimer New Member

Then you won't have a hole to hang off your key ring! :)

I replaced my SE/SS key ring with a better/larger key ring so I can hang it in the key box when I get home. (Or else I lose my keys.) I was rather taken back at the low quality hardware that was hanging off of an otherwise beautiful (Johnson Controls, Inc.) technology.

Haven't tried to start it via valet with the small key not in it. Will have to try though. I still think that having a gaping hole there will just mean it will fill up with pocket lint and strange things I'd rather not think about. It is probably best to just have the key there and get a secondary wallet/pocket key to hide somewhere instead.

xo

6. rockluvr

rockluvr New Member

Stan,
    Just for you, I went out with the fob, but without the door key attached to the fob and started the car. Yes, it starts without the key. Putting a key ring on the fob other than on the small door key so that you could put the key elsewhere for an emergency would have been nice. Oh well.

7. inventor00

inventor00 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I just went to my local locksmith and made copies of the key to scatter around purse, hubby, etc. instead of taking out the original and loosing the keychain part. $2 each....