1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

fob works when inserted, but not smartly. repair?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by LKasdorf, Jun 19, 2023.

1. LKasdorf

LKasdorf Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    On my 2005 Prius, for the last year or so, I've been operating it by inserting the fob in the dash. I lock manually and unlock with the fob key.

Now, this fob had been working- but the plastic over the buttons disintegrated from riding in my pockets, and now the PC board is showing through.

Yes- tried batteries- many times. There seems to be an electrical issue with the fob PCB. I removed it from the case and cleaned with contact cleaner and a brush, to no avail.

So- is there a service that can help me for less that the several hundred dollar cost I have seen?

ALSO- since a fob will work even with a dead battery, I wonder what on the fob PCB stores the digital key? Is it the large white square component on the battery side of the fob PCB? Could I transplant this to another fob? It is a 4 pin surface mount.

2. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    There are two different technologies inside the fob case: a little black fingernail-sized RFID chip for when you insert the fob, and the powered circuit board for the smart stuff.

The two have separate IDs and get registered with the car in separate steps.

One of the most common "what'd I do wrong?" questions around here comes when people buy a new fob case to replace a worn-out one, and they swap the circuit board over, but don't notice the little black chip.

3. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Yes if you have your black transponder chip that's what I'll call it You need to have that to move over to whatever case you're going to buy. That is the thing you have to have that goes to the componentry in your car but a lot of the green boards and a lot of the remotes will interchange and run on the same frequencies in all kinds of nonsense like that I have a Toyota sienna remote working another Toyota car that doesn't have the side door to open with the side door button but it unlocks the car and does everything it needs to do and it's a Toyota remote not some aftermarket cheap plastic thing and other people is programmed other Toyota remotes to other Toyota's too Toyota remotes are easy to come by people throw them out I find them in the trash friends of mine find them in their key piles in their homes when they're cleaning up And they will call me because they'll be like man I've got three or four Toyota remotes over here Tom You want them I'll pick them up tomorrow there's plenty all over the world I'm sure sitting in people's key bowls. E bay

4. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Contact a locksmith or 3 in your area.......soon.
    They can save you a LOT of money on the fix.
    AND they can get you a second FOB too.....which is kind of important
    because the cost is REALLY high if you have NO working FOBs.

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    is the sks switch on the dash under the steering wheel in the on position?
    it is unlikely that it can be repaired. you'll probably need a new one if you get tired of putting it into the dash

6. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Too late. In order to add another SKS key fob, you first need one that's fully functional. The most likely route now is an "all keys lost" that needs a reseed code and two new fobs.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.