1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

fob?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by roger, Oct 11, 2004.

1. roger

roger New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    ok, I'll bite... why do you all call it a fob?
    A fob is an old style coat watch...

I hope it's an acronym...

2. victor

victor New Member

Gilching Bavaria Germany, & Drapanos, Crete, G
  3. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Dictionary.com

Merriam-Webster Online

Edited to add a better answer:

From Steven Kahn:

My wife just asked me what the letters in the word fob stand for (you know, the little key-chain thing that locks and unlocks your car doors). I told her I haven't the foggiest, although I have always wondered about it. She then made fun of me because she says I think I know all the answers. Help me out here!

So, Steven, your wife told you that the letters f, o and b stand for something and you believed it, eh? Our advice is to humbly submit to your better half and beg her to divulge her answer. There is good reason for this. For one thing, you'll look good by deferring to her opinion (always a good idea.) but, more importantly, she's wrong, fob is not an acronym. So, either she has an incorrect answer which you can prove wrong, or she is bluffing and has no answer at all. Either way, you win.

OK, don't tell your wife that we told you this but fob originally meant a small pocket, especially a secret pocket. A watch carried in a small vest pocket (that's "waistcoat pocket" for Brits) was therefore called a fob watch and the chain attached to the fob watch was called a fob chain. Frequently the fob chain would have an ornament of some kind on the furthest end from the watch. Sometime in the late 19th century, the fob chain was assumed to be named after this ornament and the ornament became known as a fob (because it was on a fob chain). If that's not entirely clear we suggest reading it again... but take notes this time.

Most readers will have a set of keys which, most likely, reside on a key-ring. Most people's key-ring has some object dangling from it often purely decorative. It could be a simple leather tag with a car-dealer's name or a yellow plastic Tweety-pie or a miniature soccer ball. We've all seen them, most of us have them, but what do you call these things? Simple. They are called fobs, by analogy with those decorative things on the end of fob chains. These days, there are even fobs which open garage doors.

While f-o-b isn't an acronym it is an abbreviation. F. O. B. (pronounced eff-oh-bee) means "free on board" and F. O. B. S. (pronounced eff-oh-bee-ess) means "fractional orbital bombardment system" but we can't imagine that your wife had either of those in mind.

Take Our Word For It

4. victor

victor New Member

Gilching Bavaria Germany, & Drapanos, Crete, G
    Uhmm. doesnt seam to answer the question. Free On Board meand no charge to carry. Its not a pocket watch and I dont think its to Fob off.

5. roger

roger New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    yeah.... and?

6. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

7. IsrAmeriPrius

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Check my edited message.

8. roger

roger New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, I understand that you all use the word to refer to the transmitter/key, but I cant think why..

9. IsrAmeriPrius

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    This is the key to the explanation of how the term evolved to include the remote transmitter:

Most readers will have a set of keys which, most likely, reside on a key-ring. Most people's key-ring has some object dangling from it often purely decorative. It could be a simple leather tag with a car-dealer's name or a yellow plastic Tweety-pie or a miniature soccer ball. We've all seen them, most of us have them, but what do you call these things? Simple. They are called fobs, by analogy with those decorative things on the end of fob chains. These days, there are even fobs which open garage doors.

10. roger

roger New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    well, I'd feel like an idiot calling it a fob, so I think I'll stick to transmitter or something..

fob sounds too old fashioned.. like using pounds and miles and feet and fractions to display fuel prices.... etc

11. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

well on this continent there are about 350 million people that know exactly what a fob is.

12. roger

roger New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    how do you know there are 350 million people? have you asked them all personally?

13. roger

roger New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    by the way, if you want to talk world scale, as it seems you do, 350 million is a pretty small minority

14. Speedracer

Speedracer New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    For honda which equipped with SE/SS the remote fob called "Card Key" Because its size is same as credit card
    but other hand Nissan called "Inteligent Key"

15. IsrAmeriPrius

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Not as small as the Aussies are on the same scale. :p

16. roger

roger New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    correct.
    the smaller the better too!

17. bruceha_2000

bruceha_2000 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Perfect! I have several pair of pants that have a small, in fact, just larger than the Prius fob, inside the right front pocket. Hmmm, what do I put there? You guessed it - my Prius fob! Keeps it separate from the keys so they don't scratch it all up. After all, I never need to take it out of my pocket to use the car.

FOB - the acronym, at least in the shipping context I know is not "Free On Board" but "Freight On Board". If something is priced FOB, it means the cost you pay if you show up at the seller's location and they put it on or in your vehicle. If you don't want to pick it up, you have to arrange shipping at your cost.

18. roger

roger New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    toyota should make a watch that does the job.

19. mikeslavis

mikeslavis New Member

You know that fuzzy feline creature that hangs out with people? Why do you call it a cat? What does the C-A-T stand for? And don't even get me started on the D-O-G...

:)

Seriously, I just think "fob" is the word used to describe the apparatus used to hold keys. I don't think it "means" or "stands for" anything...I could, of course, be very wrong...but when someone says "fob" I always picture something like the big "#1" keychains...

[email protected]

20. onerpm

onerpm New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    ETYMOLOGY:
    Probably akin to Low German Fobke, small pocket

(from Yahoo!'s dictionary)