1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Fog Light Asm

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by FL Buckeye, Nov 18, 2006.

1. FL Buckeye

FL Buckeye Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I've been wanting to add fog lights and have them look OEM. I've also read the threads about most members feeling they are useless unless you go aftermarket or modify to HID. Problem is I want to maintain the original size, which I think is 3" dia, and location, so I will go with the OEM and then mod them to HID if needed. From some reading it appears that the fog light asm is the same on the Highlander and the Echo as is used on the Prius. Can anyone with either of these models confirm this? Also, on the Highlander there is some sort of trim that goes around the front of the asm. I was wondering if this is a chrome ring, or some sort of guard. efusco, can you maybe comment on this? If the same asm, is the fog light output on the Highlander equally as bad?

2. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    would you mind clarifying? DH doesn't tinker with hid lights too often and the acronym doesn't sound familiar.

3. FL Buckeye

FL Buckeye Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Sorry if my ramblings confused you. I am asking about the fog light asm, (asm is the abbreviation for assembly), the actual fog light that is mounted in the front bumper. I'm not asking about HID. Is this part the same one used in the Highlander and Echo? I am going to install them in my Prius and am looking at all the parts options for finding cabling, relay, switch, etc. Also, would like to find a switch that would replace one of the "blanks" on the dash to the left of the driver.

As a side note, on eBay there are "amber" fog lights for the Highlander that would fit in the Prius too, if the answer to what I am asking is yes.

4. galaxee

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    ahhhhhh :lol:

for future reference, the usual abbreviation for assembly is "assy," we were wondering what you meant :)

taking a look at the whole assembly is different is hard to do, since you only see a bit of it from the front. what you'd need to know is if the connectors are the same.

if DH is well enough to go to work tomorrow and business isn't too heavy he'll see if he can get more info. can't make any promises during the busy season though.

5. FL Buckeye

FL Buckeye Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    galaxee, thanks for the help. Hope your DH is feeling better in time for the big turkey meal. I see gas prices are already going up for the long weekend.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galaxee @ Nov 19 2006, 05:55 PM) [snapback]351812[/snapback]</div>
    And I have seen the "assy" used too, but when I took English, "asm" was the proper 3 letter abbreviation for assembly. Later, used as capital letters ASM, it was used for programming language, so maybe that's when the assy started being used.

6. FL Buckeye

FL Buckeye Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Well, my question hasn't sparked much interest and now I may be able to supply the answer myself. I will provide what info I have so if anyone has damaged a foglight assy they will maybe have more options in finding another used/new one. You can also order ones with yellow lens on eBay that will swap right in.

I ordered new LH and RH foglights from an aftermarket source. These are suppose to be copies of OEM. The labels on both boxes say "04-05 TY Hlander, 00-05 Ty Echo, replacement for OEM" and had the Toyota part numbers 81221-52070 (LH) and 81211-52070 (RH) printed. I then used the first toyota part number in a parts search on one of the toyota sites and it came back with info that said the part number was a FOG LAMP ASSY used on the Highlander, Echo, MR2 and Prius.

I now have them mounted in my Prius grill, even though I haven't made the wiring harness yet.

7. cairo94507

cairo94507 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Good to know. Thank you

8. statultra

statultra uber-Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    if u have the nice brownish red empty connectors in front of your car ( my scion xa has it and i dont have fog lamps or the switch ) you will have to install a switch along with the two fog lights, i think highlander is the same
    you must check mounting holes, as the bumper has its own mounting holes on it, you must check it. Also if you want u might buy the front grille that accommodates the fog lamps, as with a switch and random other stuff

9. galaxee

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    glad to see you figured it out, fl buckeye. our home internet is giving us trouble so we haven't been around.

best of luck with your install ;)