1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Fog light "DRL" mod...?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by Fishius, May 6, 2014.

1. Fishius

Fishius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I apologize if this is something that has been asked before, I have done some searching and came across one thread that had some info but it was from 2009 and not the easiest to understand (at least for me a Prius newb) and the other ones were for people who installed aftermarket fogs. What I am looking for is a hack that allows me to use my OEM fog lights as a DRL. In other words, I want my fog lights to come on either when I turn the car on or turn on my parking lights, without having to use my headlights. I did the mod on a previous car I owned and it was a very easy "jump", it also allowed the fogs and low beams to stay on while the high beams were engaged. Any help or pictures on how to accomplish this would be great. Thanks

2. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    You can get an H11 auxiliary light relay harness and wire your foglights to the relay harness instead of the oem wiring. Power for the foglights will be from the fuse box. There are open terminals at the back of the fuse box that are always hot that you can use. The "signal" for the relay will be a tapped fuse in the fuse box that is powered when in Ready mode only (ignition On).

Your foglights will be on whenever the car is in Ready mode, unaffected by whatever other lights you choose to use.

SCH-I535

Fishius and Seanzky like this.
  3. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
  4. Fishius

Fishius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    So if I understand you, I can get something like this ebay 261280788017 and then plug those in place of the OEM plugs and hook it up to terminals on the bottom of the fuse box, fogs come on when car is in Ready ??

5. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Yes, it should work. As long as you properly ground all the black wires off the harness. And tap the proper terminal/fuse in the fuse box.

SCH-I535

6. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Before I did my highbeam DRL mod, I used the foglights as DRLs.

I didn't want to run 55w halogen H11 bulbs in the small foglight enclosures, lots of heat, especially during the day. So I used modified base 35w H8 halogen bulbs in my foglights. Link is in my sig below on what tab you need to trim to get an H8 bulb into the H11 socket.

SCH-I535

7. Fishius

Fishius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Ok, that sounds easy enough. I have some 25w LED H11 bulbs in there that are actually pretty bright. I'm interested in it more for aesthetics reasons than anything super functional really. Thank you for your input!!