1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Fog light DRL modification

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by yardman 49, Apr 9, 2009.

1. yardman 49

yardman 49 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Hello Jay, Tom, DH, all other long time members:

I was at the PC Shop, and saw the "Fog Light DRL kit". This looks exactly like something that would fit my desire for DRLs, as well as for an improvement to the Prius fog lights:

I remember years ago, when I installed a set of fog lights on one of my cars. Back then I lived in New England, and the fog lights were a tremendous help not only in fog, but in the snow as well.

But as anyone who has used foglights knows, they only work well if your main headlights are OFF. As rightly mentioned in the PC Shop add, "The whole point of fog lights are to shine a light down low to the road so that backscatter reflected off the fog doesn't blind the driver. If the headlights need to be on as well... most of the purpose of the fog lights is for naught." I couldn't have said it any better.

So I have to wonder: why do all "factory installed" foglights that I have tried require the low beams to be on??? Has anyone driven a car where this has not been the case??

Second Question: I could not find any threads here that specifically addressed the mod sold by the Shop. I'm assuming that if you turn off the ignition (on a Prius that has the mod installed) that the lights will still go off when you kill the ignition? And are there any problems that could occur "long term" from this mod?? Will it void any warranty claims? Any "gotchas" to watch out for with the installation?? etc, etc.

Thank you.

2. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    (1) Required by law in some states, including my state;
    (2) Long ago, I understood real fog lights to be illegal in a few states. The "factory fog lights" I have on one car must have been intended to be legal in all 50 states. To pass muster, they have to be mere decorations. The Honda-supplied aftermarket fog lights (1986 era Bosch Pilots) on another car are far superior.

3. EZW1

EZW1 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four Touring
    There was a post on here a long time back about someone who did this very same mod, and evidently was the creator of the mod. As I recall it was quite simple, like putting in a diode - that's all. You'd have to dig to find it if it's still around.

I think the label on the ad, "Fog Light DRL Kit" is a bit misleading. DRLs are almost always automatic. This kit will not automatically turn on the Fog lights during the day, it just gives you the ability to turn them on without turning on the headlights.