1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Fog light Install Power Supply -12 Volt Fuse Block Tap Need Clarity

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by Skuits, Apr 28, 2014.

1. Skuits

Skuits Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Hi all, I bought the cheapo eBay fog light set for my 2011 Four. Ended up having to make some changes to the wiring harness so my savings were spent in time...:(

I followed the Chat's install instructions, yet I don't have the same 12 volt power supply as shown in the instructions?

I used this one and wondered if anyone can give me some clarity on if this is a good place to draw 12 volt power from? Appears that its live key on or off.

Thanks,
    Mark 12 Volt Fuse Block Tap.JPG

2. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Did the harness have a relay on the main power wire?

That is a good source for powering your foglights, but you need a relay to control/switch the power. The signal for the relay can be from almost any switched circuit.

3. Skuits

Skuits Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Yes. I used a relay that came w/ the kit. I routed the wire through the bottom of the fuse box. The kit came with the fuse holder and I was able to mount it on the outside of the box by slipping in some grooves of the box.

I took my time doing the whole thing and it turned out pretty decent. image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

4. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    So what are you using to trigger (energize the coil in) the relay?

SCH-I535

5. Skuits

Skuits Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Hi all, sorry for the repeated pics. I used the brown wire on the bottom connector of the ECU inside the car, just behind the sideview mirror control switch (as was outlined in the Chat's instructions for the fog lights). The harness that came w/ the set I bought wasn't set up this way, hence me having to revamp it some.

6. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    You might've tapped the wrong wire in the ecu harness. Someone else thought they tapped the brown wire, but found the wire was energized all the time, like your installation.

Check again. The wires are very thin. Make sure you have good light to see the colors, the wire is definitely a dark brown wire, not orange, or "sorta brown".

7. Skuits

Skuits Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Ok thanks. I will say that the wire I used is defiently key on power. I know this b/c when I leave the car the lights aren't still on. The wire I tapped for this is a light brown wire, only brown in that particular cluster of the lower connector on the ECU.

8. Skuits

Skuits Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Ok thanks. I will say that the wire I used is defiently key on power. I know this b/c when I leave the car the lights aren't still on. The wire I tapped for this is a light brown wire, only brown in that particular cluster of the lower connector on the ECU.