1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Fog light install troubles

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by kendo21470, Aug 19, 2012.

1. kendo21470

kendo21470 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Hi all, In the 2nd week of owning my 2010 Prius and loving it. I've gotten 50.3 and 51.1MPG for each week of commuting, a big change over the 16mpg I was getting in my Tacoma.

I wanted to add fog lights and decided to go with the OEM quality fog lights from PriusChat after reading the comments and a few of the forum threads. I'm not a tech guy but the install instructions seemed pretty straight forward and easy to follow. It took a lot longer than I had planned, 5 hours, but I finished the install late yesterday afternoon. The fog lights didn't come on when the button was pushed with headlights in the on position nor did the button energize (light up) at all. I did not have time to trouble shoot due to a prior commitment and the excess time it took me to install.

I ran into my second issue while driving home later that night. The sun set and when I turned on my headlights all dash instrument cluster lighting went off except the 'ECO Mode', 'Ready', and the headlight symbol; lower instruments ( NAV, A/C, outside temp, etc.) were not affected. I have a feeling it's the brown wire / red wire connection but like I said am not a tech guy and was just following the directions. I didn't notice this during the install because I didn't turn the car on, I just turned on the headlights so the cluster wasn't on. Does anyone have any ideas on what would be causing the cluster to go off when the lights are turned on? I'll be working on it later today and would appreciate any help and troubleshooting advice you could give.

thanks,
    Ken

2. Fore

Fore Don't look back!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I've installed the same fog lights, (1) make sure your grounded properly, metal on metal), (2) make sure you squeeze the splice connector going to the brown wire harder to break the wires outer coating. This may sound stupid but, as far as the instrument cluster make sure you didn't accidently bump down your brightness control switch when you installed your fog light switch or made a loose connection popping it back in. Hope that helps, good luck!

Oh yeh, I traded in my 2007 Tacoma Prerunner too because of the poor gas mileage it got.

3. sfv41901

sfv41901 Masta S

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I too would double chk the dimmer switch.

As for the fogs, I would also add that u chk the switch plug. Make sure it plugged in all the way. I had the same happen to me but I just needed to posh the connector all the way into the switch.